Swollen knees?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by midkiffsjoy, Apr 7, 2006.

1. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

This morning I went to do the milking and Annie looks like her front knees are a little swollen. When it rained recently the water ran through their big stall (12x24) and even though I put platforms in there so they could get up out of the mud, they laid down in it anyway (?????why?????). I cleaned the hay bedding out of the stall and laid down wood shavings. I've called the vet (who only makes house calls) but she hasnt called back. Any suggestions?

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you had Annie tested for CAE? If she hasn't been tested recently, I'd have the vet blood test her for it.

3. midkiffsjoy

We've been calling the vet since friday and gotten no answer. She's supposedly the best, but if I cant get her than what good is she? I'm gonna start calling around on Monday (tomorrow) and see if another vet will see Annie. I'm crossing my fingers that that isnt it, she came from a CAE free herd, but theres always that chance. (cross fingers).

4. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

A goat with milk fever will appear to have large knees- anything else wrong wtih her?

Liz

5. midkiffsjoy

No. She's acting completely normal, except for her swollen knees. Now their poop have all been clumpy instead of little berries, but I beleive that is because they roam over acreage and have been eating LOADS of spring grass.
    We FINALLY got ahold of "the worlds best vet" today who never called us back when we left tons of messages and said she could see us tuesday. Mom said thanks but no. We called a vet in town who got us in inside of an hour. Now THAT was an interesting visit.
    I have to say as far as men in East Texas in ag related fields, he was a very nice guy. No talking down to us or anything. He is VERY anti NAIS, but to the point of not wanting to test for things he might have to contact the government about. So while he was willing to give her shots of antiinfalmitory, he didnt test her for CAE because he is afraid that if she does have it the government will destroy my whole herd of 12 goats. *shake head* He was like...WHY would you want to KNOW if your goat had CAE???? I was like....ummmm you mean OTHER than the facts that I feed the milk and meat to my children and because only the most dispicible lout sells sick animals to other people ???? I'm in the middle of building my new improved dream barnyard with pens to keep new animals seperate and the whole thing, so when I get it done in two weeks or less (because I want it DONE NOW) and get them moved into the new pens I'm having that mobile vet come out and test everyone for everything. And then have EVERY new goat tested for everything. Cause this is just bull. He suggests that everyone worm their goats monthly using a wormer that has a meat withdrawl time of 4 months. you know....because it costs too much to do fecal testing (yeah...he said that. A WHOLE 12.50) He DID make a good point though.....they are out grazing/browsing, I wonder if this isnt a reaction to brambles or something. Annie LOVES poison ivy. He thought her heart rate was elevated, but to be honest it didnt worry me because this is Annie we are talking about. She Nubian to the BONE, and freaks out regularly. She will be eating with her kid next to her and then FREAK OUT and start SCREAMING for her kid, and her kid answers SCREAMING "Im HERE Mom!!!" I think Annie is the ONLY creature Ive ever met who has anixety issues worse than me! giggle. I'd never known goats to have sudden panic attacks for NO reason at all !!!! *shake head* I'm going to keep a very close eye on her and take her up to A&M if she doesnt get better soon. (The vet wanted to send us to a goatologist anyway). He didnt know about ivemec being used to worm people in 3rd world countries. I was able to pass on info to a vet that Ive learned from YOU GUYS!!! grin. Isnt that cool?

I didnt know that about milk fever. I wish Id read this before the vet appointment today! The only thing I saw about swollen knees in my books was CAE, but I will read up on milk fever. Can that happen to a goat who kid is a month and a half old???

The only other thing out of place (and it might just be her. Its her first freshening so I have no idea how much milk she should be giving) we pen our moms up seperate at night and milk in the morning......I milk Annie just to get her used to the stand. She gives less than a cup of milk. Her doe is THRIVING but I wonder how cause Annie is a POOR milker as of right now. I'm hoping she gets better and it just because shes a first freshener.