SWOLLEN face - BOTTLE JAW????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I've never seen this before but I've heard of it.....My little buckling was doing pretty good and now today he has a swollen face. Isn't that from a worm overload? He did get Ivercide once but now I'm reading that I should have dewormed him again in 10 days so basically is it like I didn't even deworm him? Is there really anything else it could be? Do I have until Monday to get a fecal sample to the vet or should I just redo the Ivercide. I'm worried of letting it go until Monday. Could that be too long? Please help!! Poor little fella. BTW, he is also pot-bellied which I contributed to a seemingly minor case of Coccidiosis but could that also be from worms? Thanks in advance for answering my questions!!

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyway we could get a picture?? If it is swelling under the jaw, back to his throat and its kind've a soft loose swelling, its probably bottle jaw. And yes, a pot belly can be another sign of worms. If its swelling up over his nose, into the eye area and more of an edema feeling swelling, I would think its more likely to be a spider bite/bee sting type thing. :shrug: Have you looked him over really closely in the face are to see if you can find a sting/bite? Many times you can't see them though. Do you have snakes??
    If you think it might be bottle jaw, I would reworm him without waiting. But I would use something besides the wormer that you used last time. Also, if it is bottle jaw, he will need an iron supplement such as Red Cell. And I would give him a shot of vitamin B.
    A picture would be helpful in determining if it *is* bottle jaw or not....if you have a camera. :)

3. Milk n' Honey

I just PM'd you. I can go take a pic. I'll go do that now. It is his whole face. My husband said maybe he ate a spider or got bit by one. We once had a dog that did this. Where do you get red cell? I don't have any.

4. ozark_jewels

I just answered your pm. Red Cell can be bought at any feedstore or anyplace that sells animal supplies in this are. It comes in a bottle or a gallon. A bottle will go a long way. They usually like the flavour. I squirt it in their mouth with a syringe.

5. Milk n' Honey

Here is a pic so you can see his poor swollen face.

[​IMG]

6. Milk n' Honey

OK, that is kinda small. Let me get the larger pic. What a pain...sorry!!

7. ozark_jewels

Ok, its kinda hard to tell since he is white and his face is against a white background, but it could very well be bottle jaw. It won't hurt him to worm him again even if its not, so I would be tempted to go ahead and treat him for bottle jaw just to be safe. What is the color of the inside of his lower eyelid if you pull it down with your thumb??

8. Milk n' Honey

9. ozark_jewels

LOL!!I was thinking the same thing but wasn't going to say anything. :) If you want to e-mail it to me please feel free if its any easier. fourreal@getgoin.net

10. Milk n' Honey

This pic should have been larger. Hmmmm, I don't get it. Well, I'll try the dewormer. He did have a soft swelling on his throat. He is weaned. It feels like he swallowed a water balloon if that tells you anything. His whole face is swollen though. There are no visible worms in his poop but I know that doesn't mean anything.

11. Milk n' Honey

Got it!! Now look above!!

12. Milk n' Honey

I fixed both of them. I wasn't clicking on the pic to get it large before using the codes. Duh!! What do you think now? His face is soooo swollen!!

13. ozark_jewels

Yeah, the types of worms that cause bottle jaw are not visible to the naked eye. From what I can see, it does look like bottle jaw. If the inside of his lower eyelid is pale instead of darker pink, thats another sign of anemia. If its bottle jaw he will need wormed with a follow-up worming later and some iron supplement such as the red cell I mentioned. Sorry you had so much trouble with the pics but thanks for getting one for us, it really does help to see it. :)

14. Milk n' Honey

Oh, I looked him over really good and the only other thing I noticed was a spot under his left eye is all crusty and looks like is eye was running or maybe he that is part of an allergic reaction he's having. Poor baby.....

15. Milk n' Honey

The inside of his eyelids and gums are considerably whiter than his twin sister's b/c I looked at both of them. He also had some bubbles in his mouth which makes me think he could have some bloat.

16. ozark_jewels

I hate to say this after all the trouble you went to, but they won't come up for me at all now. :help: I'll refresh and see if it helps any. Could you just e-mail me one, maybe??

17. Milk n' Honey

18. Milk n' Honey

That is weird. OK, I'll email them.

19. Milk n' Honey

20. Milk n' Honey

Huh!! Both pics disappeared and now one is working and not the other. I don't understand that at all!!