Swollen cheek on doe, why?!?!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by poultryprincess, Oct 15, 2003.

1. poultryprincess

poultryprincess Well-Known Member

;) Howdy y'all, hate to ask another newbie question,but of course I must! My new doe (californian) is about 4 months old & is not used to being handled. I have noticed the side of her cheek is swollen.Her eye was closing slightly, & her "smile" was off kilter (sorry, didn't know what else to call it) I have tried to gently touch it by giving her a slice of apple. It is just a little firmer than touching her anywhere else. She will only allow me to touch it once, then she is skittish for the rest of the day & avoids me. I have had her on Tetracyclin for 2 days but am not sure this is the proper fix for her. I have read thru both rabbit books & have found no reference to any thing like this. Her eye is now fully open, but she is still swollen. She still eats,drinks & acts normal.I got her about 2 weeks ago, so I don't want to force handle her until she trusts me. ***Any thoughts?Should she be on Ampro instead? Open to all opinions!

2. Natureschild

Natureschild Well-Known Member

Maybe an infected tooth? I know nothing about meds though.
    What about maggots? Theses are the only two things I can think of, oh one more thought maybe she has something stuck in her gums. Sliver, food, hay?

3. poultryprincess

poultryprincess Well-Known Member

:D Howdy ya'll. I wanted to give you an update on the "swollen" cheek....it looks to be a cyst. She scratched it out of herself !!! I spoke with the person who gave me the rabbit, & asked if they thought it was safe to look inside her mouth--he said No Way / just put her down. I thought I would try to gain her confidence & peek inside once she felt safe. I guess she couldn't wait til then, & ripped it out. I have checked the wound, it seems OK. I will keep an eye on her, but so far so good. Just thought I'd let you know what it was......thanx!