Switching stove from electric to gas?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, Dec 10, 2004.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

we have a great little electric cook stove(the last one didnt work well). Hubby and I have been playing with the thought of installing a gas stove, we already have HVAC with gas so (to me) it shouldn't be that diffecult to add a gas stove. The Hvac is just on the other side of a wall as where the stove is. We are looking at being here for a while and it would be an asset when we loose power, which we seem to do every winter even for a few days. (We wouldnt have to brave the roads to get to the inlaws). Right now Im not even sure in my area which would be cheaper...propane or running a gas line for the gas company....but that will be researched. I have found(thusfar) 4 different propane companies to call and ask. Opinions anyone?

2. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Propane or natural gas? I'd go with propane! While it may or may not be cheapest, depending on the area, it is more reliable if you have a big tank. No worries about something happening to the natural gas lines in the area causing it to go off when a major storm hits, or in the event of an accident. Just my opinion.
    Another note: If you ever want to install some old gas lights for backup lighting, the open flame type that is which uses no fragile mantle, propane will burn brighter than natural gas in many cases. Just something else that can be done with good gas!

3. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Issue with a gas stove is 6 of one, half dozen of another -- you may not have a stove if the power goes out, but if you run out of gas, you won't have a stove either. *shrug* You can use a LOT of gas if you're doing heavy duty cooking like at a holiday -- not good to run out of it halfway through, say, cooking a turkey for Thanskgiving or in the middle of a cold snap.

(Also, I chose an electric stove because we get NASTY electrical storms in my area. I've always worried about the tank getting nailed by a lightning strike. May or may not be a realistic worry, but I've seen just how bad a fuel/air explosion can be when it was just a coleman stove inside a camper that went blooey. I felt the blast 1/4 mile away and the owner was very lucky he was at my campsite and not in his when it went up.)

Leva

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

If you have a natural gas furnace, it sounds like all you have to do is run the piping through the wall, get a stove and hook it up. Natural gas rarely gets disrupted. The pressure behind natural gas is engine powered compressors which are powered by ... natural gas. The power going off has no effect. Only something disrupting the pipeline in your area would stop the flow of gas.

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

We switched back to propane a year ago. When the electric clothes dryer dies we'll replace that with propane also.

I don't know if I can light my oven but the burners are easily lit with a match when there isn't electricity to cause a spark.