Switching out the cords on my clothing dryer...can I do this?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Hears The Water, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey all! Yesterday we moved my mom's electric dryer into my house as my old one died. The guys that moved it in for me left rather quickly as it was way cold and we had been outside all day moving all of my mom's other things. Before they left they told me that the new dryer has a 4-prong plug on the end of the cord and that the plug in is a 3-prong. One of the guys did take the cord (a 3-prong) off my old dryer and brought it into the house. They said that it would not be hard to replace the new cord with the old one. I think I have the tools but I am a bit leery to do this. I googled "replacing a power cord on an electric clothes dryer" and came up with several sites, but they all say pretty much the same thing. They say not to replace the cord but to put in a new plug as the old plugs don't pass code. Am I reading this right? This house along with its plug in passed inspection just a year ago when I bought it.

As long as it is safe to do, I would rather replace the cord. What do y'all think? Is there anything I need to know about doing this? It will be Johnnie doing it with me standing right there supervising. My thinking is that I should take the little pannel off of the new dryer and pay attention to what colored wires went where and just hook them up in the same manner. But there will be an extra contact won't there? If so, should I do anything to it? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, I have a TON of laundry waiting for this poor dryer!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Debbie my wife said it should be easy.You will probably have to take the back off,unscrew the old one screw the New one in.

You'll have to get one that will match where you plug in.

big rockpile

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Oh she says put the same color wires back in the same place.

big rockpile

4. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

I agree with Big Rockpile's wife, Debbie. It's really pretty easy to replace the cord. We just did this. Before you remove the existing one, just be sure to note which color wire goes where - and be sure to get the new wires exactly where those were.

Good luck!

Penny

5. nwbound

nwbound Romans 11:36

It is very easy most cords have color on the ends that go to the dryer. Most Dryers have color on the screw for the plug to attach. If yours doesn't pm me and i will send you a copy of the digram.

6. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Debbie,

It's a super easy repair. I did it myself when we moved into our place in Texas. Took me less then 5 minutes with nothing more complicated then a screw driver.

Nikki

7. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

debbie,
    you said you had 3 prong but the cord was 4 prong please look where the wires are on your old plug,noe iam trying to rember it was like that on a stove cord i had the whithe wire is your grounding plug,it goes on the same wire on back of dryer with your green wire so thats, red,black,greenwith the white.. IAM HOPING SOMEONE WILL COME ALONG AND CONFRIRM THAT,paula

8. Hears The Water

Well, J took the little pannel off of the new dryer and sure enough, it is color coded. Then we looked at the cord. It ISN"T!!! Grrr! Any thoughts on how to tell what is what? Where would I look? I was not there when they took it off of the old dryer. I could go look at it to see the order, but isn't it possible to put it on two ways? Why would they not color code the cord? *sigh* and here I thought it would be easy... you would think that after 38 years I would know by now that nothing is ever easy for me. :grump: Help!.....
    God bless you and yours
    Deb

9. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

The four wire connection is 240 or 208 volt hot on two wires, motor ground on one wire, and cabinet ground on one wire. I have that exact set up on my dryer at home -- four wire cord and four wire outlet.

Most dryers can be wired for either a three or four wire set up. Look for a wiring diagram on the back of your dryer. On mine there was just one wire that had to be changed to convert from three to four wire.

The three wire cord can be connected with either one of the outside wires going to the top screw, the center wire going to the center screw, and the other outside wire going to the other outside screw. You just need to account for the connection for that fourth wire -- probably a ground wire going to a seperate terminal that will be move over to connect with the center wire of your three wire cord.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

10. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm, aren't electric dryers 220 volt? That would be the 4 prong, like an electric stove (slanted prongs).

Is that the way your old dryer was? Or did have the regular plug (like, say a TV?)

Just trying to visualize.....

11. Hears The Water

Well, I am now drying clothes! yay!! I called a friend of my late husband's that works at the Home Depot. I was able to get across to him that the cord did not have any color coding on it but the wires in the dryer did. He told me that the center wire was the ground and the two outside wires were the hot. So that is how we hooked it up. It is working. I do wonder however, if there is any danger because there is nothing hooked up to the white or neutral wire in the dryer itself. What do y'all think? That has been my worry the whole time...that there needed to be something on that fourth connection. Thank you all so much for your help and support. I tell ya, if someone had told me a few years ago that I would be hooking up appliances and switching out cords and such, I would have told them that the were nuts! Thanks!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie