Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading some of the heating in winter thread and have a question. When we moved to the new house this past winter, the gentleman who sold it to us said that the furance is a dual purpose and can run on either electric or propane. I ran it on electric for the couple of months of winter we had left and haven't really thought about it since then. But I did go down and look at it today and I can't for the life of me figure out how to switch it over so it can be run on propane. I have a 500 gallon tank that is also full and the electric about killed my monthly budget when the heat was running - so I figured that I would start with propane this year and try to save a little bit of money by using what I already have. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the switch? Is there a button or something?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Try the.....ummmm......."Owner's Manual" mmm :)
If you don't have one or can't find it "Google" the manufacturer and/or model number on the Internet.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
We have heat pumps here that are dual fueled: an electric heat pump for moderate days and gas (either natural or propane) on colder days. The furnaces automatically select the correct fuel depending upon the need...I think. At most there's a selector on the thermostat.

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
1. At the least you have to look at the nameplate & tell us the make & model of your furnace!

2. Get an owners manual from the company.

3. Have a furnace place come out & inspect & show you how to do things correctly. Sitting idle for a year or more, prehaps having the propane part inspected is the best idea....

--->Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts