Switching from crock waterers??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by hmcgov, Apr 3, 2006.

1. hmcgov

hmcgov Member

I was wondering about switching the rabbits from crocks to water bottles (or, ideally, a semi automatic waterer). As far as i know, they have always had crocks so I don't think they will "know" what to do. Does anyone have any feedback about this?? I don't want them to dehydrate simply because they don't know how to get the water out! But the others are so much cleaner than crocks so I'd really get rid of the crocks until next winter if I can. Any tips??

h.

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Just allow some water to drip from the bottles if you can. You have to figure they have nothing to do all day long except to observe things in their cage, so you shouldn't have much of a problem getting them on bottles. Some rabbits may resist it, but just keep the bottle in front of them.

Jennifer

3. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

They will figure it out when they get thirsty. Never yet have a rabbit die from not figuring out a nipple water system.

4. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

The only time I've had a problem switching from crocks to water bottles was my Flemish Giant buck, he wasn't drinking enough and before I knew it he had dehydrated quite badly. Now he gets a crock regardless of the season and no problems. Just watch and make certain their all drinking enough.