Swiss hinged window?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cyngbaeld, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Saw this term describing windows on a house that is for sale. Never heard of em. Anybody care to enlighten me? Googled and got nada.

2. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

The only thing I can guess - and it is a guess - is that maybe they are saying it has European style windows. What makes them different from American style windows is that they open outward. They are hinged rather than sliders. I have seen them all over Europe. Up in the mountains of Austria they frequently don't use screens on their windows - and they don't have many bugs at altitude either - so the windows can open outwards, like shutters.

So there's my best guess for you. We'll see if it's worth anything! :shrug:
    BW

3. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

When I lived in Germany, the windows there were hinged to open inward, rather than outward like Becky described, and there were two of them -- sort of like our storms - and a screen on the outside.

The walls on the buildings were cement/concrete and very thick, then the screens on the outside, then an outer window which was exactly like the inner window -- there was quite a space between the outer and inner windows, too -- over six inches, at least. They shut with a little handle thing on the right hand side that flipped over to the left and locked behind a clip thing on the left hand side (sort of like some older kitchen cupboard doors.

But, I've always thought the most interesting thing about those windows was the "shades" or "shutters" that were between the two sets of windows. They rolled down by pulling on a strap of woven canvas next to the windows. They were wooden and connected like the "roll top" part (tambour?) of a "roll top desk". When they were shut, it sure helped to keep the heat in (or out!), and the light out. I've always thought they would be the best things to have on our houses here. They were great!

MaryNY

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

5. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

I rem those from my time in Germany, but ours were metal. Very neat, wish I could source some in the US.

Those tilt-turn windows are also common in Europe and England.

6. Suburbanhmstedr

Suburbanhmstedr Well-Known Member

I asked about those shades when I lived briefly with a family in Germany. I was told that they were very popular during the wars, to keep the light in the house from being seen outside. The family I lived with seemed almost ashamed to tell me that keeping the light from leaking made it harder for bombers to focus on towns and populated areas.

I thought the shades were wonderful, they did such a great job, and I was surprised to hear this sad side of the history.

7. Cyngbaeld

Thanx!

I vaguely remember something about windows that opened in from Germany. But I was a wee little kid at the time.

Would love shutters or shades like that too.

8. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

those windows are a lot easier to clean, too. and you can open them wide. I miss them. the shades would be really handy for someone working the nightshift and having to sleep during the day. besides keeping heat or cold in.

9. Cyngbaeld

I do remember the windows being opened wide and all the bedding hung out to air every morning. Always thought it was much nicer to do that than to make the bed instantly the way Mom did. LOL