Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wishing for more green
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you selling it by the pound or bag? I was thinking by the bag would be easier for me, then how many pieces per bag and how much are you charging?

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I sell mine by the bag. I use cheap 1 gallon plastic bags and I don't close the top. The chard looks good coming out the top and the plastic bag keeps the chard in better shape. Some people will bundle it and wrap a rubber band around the stem ends but when I try that it just fall apart. Other larger greens work well this way like mustard, collards and kale. I have to close the bag for spinach since it is to small to stay in.

·
Always Thinking
3,296 Posts
I sell by the cluster or bundle. I gather about 12-15 leaves/stems in a bundle, depending on size of the leaves. Like this photo:

I get $3 per bundle. I stand them in 3 gallon or 5 gallon buckets with water to keep them fresh. They almost look like bouquets - especially if you have a variety like Bright Lights with different stem colors.

·
Always Thinking
3,296 Posts
Almost forgot - I rinse and rough chop damaged leaves for adding to salad mix or selling by the bag for stir fry. These would include torn leaves, maybe a bad tip that can be removed, etc - that otherwise are perfectly fine but no longer 'pretty' as whole leaves. I remove the damaged portion and chop.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been selling by the pound in a bag, but after seeing KimNC's lovely photo I'm reconsidering ... that's a beautiful presentation! Quintin

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I bundle my swiss chard and sell by the bunch. Can anyone recommend a red variety. I was not satisfied with the red chard I sold last year. The stems were too thin.
Linda

·
Always Thinking
3,296 Posts
We grew Ruby Red Last season. Really nice stems, many the size of celery stalks - but not quite as thick.

·
Wishing for more green
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love the Ruby Red and the Bright Lights, but they just aren't as prolific as I would like, tried everything, but I think our severe dryness has just been working against me, they actually perked up during the snow storm in the greenhouse because the humidity was so nice!

Thanks for the advice, I am going with the bunching and buckets, that solves the question of keeping nice during market. I really like the idea about chopping up the damaged leaves because the chickens don't seem to be crazy about chard and I sell a "Gourmet Lettuce" bag that I am always throwing in whatever is ready.

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts