Swine Mineral / Vitamin mix

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by highlands, Jan 11, 2005.

1. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

I've been casually looking about for a swine mineral / vitamin mix. We don't feed all that much commercially prepared feed since our pigs get pasture, hay (in the winter) and milk as well as having access to dirt. They seem to be doing fine, wean big litters, grow well, etc but I've wondered time to time about feeding minerals, especially during the winter. None of the local feed suppliers offer a swine mineral / vitamin mix. The sheep and dairy mixes look significantly different in a number of ways. Does anyone have a mail order source of swine mineral / vitamin mix? Costs? Results?

Cheers,

Walter Jeffries
    Sugar Mtn Farm
    in Vermont

2. rev

rev Member

Your question about mineral mixes, reminded me of an event that occurred some twenty-five years ago. Ironically it wasn't even pigs. It was chickens; during the summer, we had raised some "Pot Iron" pumpkins - must be an old variety, since I haven't found any source for them anyplace in recent years... They were a bright lemon yellow, perfectly round, smooth, no ribbing at all and big.

They were 12 to 16 inches across and must have weighed in the area of 20 pounds each - beautiful fruit. The chickens LOVED them; I split them in two, and the birds first ate the big seeds, then the pulp, then pecked at the flesh of the fruit until there was only the thin hard shell left. Seems to me that a number of classes of stock would relish them.

So my question is, has anyone any experience feeding pumpkins; any variety, to hogs? Seems to me that since they are easy to grow, and can be harvested without any special machinery, that if they could be stored where they wouldn't freeze, that they would add a good nourishing succulent winter feed for swine as well as poultry and I'll wager that the stock would find them a welcome addition to their usually drab winter fare. What are your thoughts on this?

3. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

I've never been able to grow enough to make a difference but every Fall we feed several truck loads of pumpkins to our pigs, sheep and poultry. They love them. We get the pumpkins after the jack-o-lantern lighting contests down at the local general store. It's a win-win. Previously they had been throwing them in the dumpster. Now we clear out the field for them saving them labor and cost of disposal. In turn we get a great feed for the animals that gives them some variety from the forage of late Fall.

I did look up the feed value of the pumpkins once. It is a good auxilliary feed. Especially in the late Fall when the pastures are no longer lush and the animals are getting hungry.

Cheers,

Walter Jeffries
    Sugar Mtn Farm
    in Vermont
    ---
    Livestock Dog Pups Available: http://SugarMtnFarm.com/pups/
    Vermont Cape House & Land: http://hollygraphicart.com/vermontcape/