Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kinda off topic.

I raise rats and mice, and I used to buy something a local pet store called 'lab blocks' for .99 a lb. I asked to see a bag label to see what product it was, and they refused. One lady let on that it was a type of swine feed, though!

Quickly I went to my local feed mill and found purina growena for 12.00 (or so) for 50 lbs - much cheaper than at the pet store. This wasn't blocks though, just little pellets. My mice still like it OK, but my rats don't like it as much. They do decently on it, but usually pick out the catfood peices I throw in for them and leave most of the pellets.

I was wondering, what brands of swine feed are little blocks? I haven't ever had swine so I haven't a clue. :)

Thanks in advance! :)

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
I dont know about "swine food", but rats and mice should do fine on most any type of whole grains. The mice in my barn are thriving on pigeon feed, which is a mix of "wild birdseed" , "flock raiser" poultry pellets, and popcorn.
Just make sure you buy FEED grains and NOT SEED, since some seeds are treated

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am not sure of "blocks" but when I was raising pigs Farrow to finish, I used what we called sow cubes for the gestating sows. The local feed mill made them they were an alfalfa meal, sow bean meal and ground grain ration that were steam treated and forced thru a die that was about 3/4' square. As they were forced thru they would break into about 1" long cubes. The local mill could bag some of these if needed but I usually just bought a couple tons at a time in bulk and fed them from a wagon as needed. You may want to just call the surrounding area and ask if any feed mill has bagged gestation cubes for sows then go look to see if that is what you need. JMO Good Luck JLP

G

·
There are lab blocks made for rodents... as well as swine. It's possible that the feed store you were going to was selling the swine version to you in place, but they are definitely made. Or... the worker was just mistaken/confused. I bought them by the sack when I had my show rats.

Any feed store that sells out of bulk bins will carry the same item by the sack. There is no reason they should not gladly show you a bag/label for the bulk item. Heck, who's to say you won't decide to just buy the whole sack?? Avoid that worker or find a better feed store.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know there are 'lab blocks' but no where sells them here. Ordering would be WAY to expensive for the amount I need (I have 14 rats currently with room for more, and a bunch of mice)... and I'm sorry, I'm not going to pay 7.00 per 2 lb box of them, which I have found... When the nutritional value is almost the same as swine feed, lol. My rats and mice all do just fine on the swine feed I'm using, I just liked the convenience of the blocks.

I guess the reason they 'wouldn't show me' the bag was because they had thrown it away... which I Thought it odd that they didn't have another bag around somewhere, because their dispenser was almost out, so I asked to see that one... To no avail.

It kinda makes sense, though - if it was a swine feed, people could just go elsewhere and buy it cheaper if they knew what it was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts