Swimming against the tide.....Why?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by tallpines, Dec 8, 2006.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I'm down in the dumps and I should follow my Doctors advice and increase the Zoloft dosage.

Usually my family all pulls together for a wonderful Christmas season.....but not this year.
    I feel as if I'm doing all this preparation work for something that's doomed.

I'd just like to pack up the car and take a 4 week vacation!
    (after I knock a couple of heads together in an attempt to knock some sense into a couple of my adult children)

Stupid, trival stuff. They're making mountains out of mole hills----------and it could all end up in permanent, long-term bad feelings.

This is one of those days when I really wish I could just walk away from them all!

And, one of these days, I may do that!

2. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

One of those days, huh! Increase that Zoloft for one thing. Secondly, give yourself a break. You just lost an uncle and aunt at the same time. (Saw the obit in the paper BTW.) Be kind to yourself and if packing up and leaving for awhile is the answer, do it!

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Why don't you take the money you'd spend on xmas, and take that vacation? You've earned it. Let the rest of them fight it out, and see what they're missing for the year.

I think you need a couple of weeks in the sun. It's common for depression to increase in the dark winter months. Wisconsin? Woo boy. You need FLORIDA. Let there be LIGHT!

4. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Isn't it amazing that adult children can be bigger babies than... well, babies? Especially at this time of year.

Take a break, Tallpines. Get in your car, drive to the nearest coffee shop, order a coffee and a big piece of pie, and wait 'em out. There isn't much that coffee and pie can't cure -- or at least make LOOK a whole lot better.

(hugs)

Tracy

5. tallpines

Ardie, your post made me cry!
    Why can't my kids be just a tad bit supportive, like you!

(Not to mention DH who is the least suportive of any of them)
    Give, give, give.
    Do, do, do!

They sure can make lots of requests from me----but the minute I could use a helping hand----------all I get is hostility!

6. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

tallpines, I have extra sewing machines, an extra table - a sofa, and a room full of fabric and patterns..

Want to come play?

Hugg's to you.

Angie

7. tallpines

Oh---how TEMPTING!

8. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

and I WILL even leave you alone during the day with the cat that sleeps....

So you can listen to music, watch tv or movies, eat the candy in the house, or stand in the shower until the 40 gal hot water heater runs out of hot water!!!

But you have to like cat hair (very hair cat), and you have to like books...

Really, here's another hug and a hot cup of tea

Angie

9. tallpines

Thank you!

You know----if I got a few more hugs on a regular basis it would be easier to handle the really bad times.

This being in a "loveless" marriage makes one get really lonely when it comes to "cuddling".

10. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Don and I are scheming on "running away from home" between Christmas and New Years. Pack a bag and leave a note!

11. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

So are we, except it's not a secret. :) No one can stop us!

Tallpines, here's another hug. ((())) Hope it helps! What a pain! If you can't get away for real, take Tracy's suggestion and get away for a day just to be nice to yourself. If that means someone was expecting you to do something for them instead, well, that's the way that goes. Life is full of little disappointments. ;)

Stay out of the fray as much as you can - that's stress you just don't need. :nono:

12. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

OMG I wish I lived closer to Angie. I want to adopt her as my 2nd mom. Or maybe a favorite aunt, furry kitties and all.

Tallpines...what would happen if you just didn't do it? What if you just said "work it out and let me know what you decide?" I think sometimes we talk ourselves into believing that things would all fall apart unless we carried them singlehandedly, maybe because we want to feel valued and needed, but all it really does is enable people to walk all over us. I know I'm guilty of that, big time.

Sending hugs!!!

13. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I opted out of Christmas 3 years ago, I think it was. Did me a whole lot of good.

Years ago my husband and two kids actually went to Hawaii instead of the usual Christmas. We had friends over there who we stayed with and I got the tickets cheap by ordering way ahead.

Gas is cheaper now too...Florida might be possible. Hmmm.

Here's another [​IMG]

14. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

I believe a hearty this is what I'm going to do for Christmas you can participate or not is fine. Then make it your own Christmas celebration with or without them. I will never opt out of Christmas as long as there is a place to worship, a meal to fix and share with someone even if they aren't family and a child whose name is on the Angel Tree needs a gift.

15. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

If you've got the means, do it! It'll go down in family legend as "The Christmas Mom Told Us To Take The Tree And Shove It".

16. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Up your Zoloft, stop carrying what everyone else is doing (they're adults...they can take care of themselves) and do what makes YOU happy.

17. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't celebrate Christmas Tallpines but I DO live in Wisconsin....wanna come hide out at MY place? Let the kids and old man fight it out. Why be in the middle of it at all? :hobbyhors
    I'll keep a light on for ya! :) :dance:

18. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

DO IT! The great escape! Jump in the car and GO! Leave the squabbling behind you. You've got some great offers here. What can you possibly lose by taking one of them up? Somehow, I think you'd gain quite a lot - not least of all, Peace at Christmas!

Why isn't there a Hugs Smiley? Never mind, here's (((hugs))) coming at you!

19. celticheart

celticheart New Member

Be careful about the Zoloft increase---Zoloft is known to have may side effects that are serious. Whatever doseage you are now on, go up only a quarter of a dose. If you take 1mg you are taking enough for the side effects. Look them up on Google and you will see the list, and it is long. Be careful. Try working on pleasing yourself and not anyone else; stay out of the squabbles (they come this time of year) find time to be alone and read happy funny stuff (Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods is GREAT!) and just remember 'their problems will still be their problems after the holidays! You will still be here and happily so. Work on positive cognitive therapy --find something to say to yourself when tings start taking a nosdive. Also,when someone tries to drag you into THEIR stuf, back out and say 'no thanks"

Be happy, be free and don't let them enlist you in the crap. Be who YOU want to be.

20. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Most side effects on Zoloft disappear after 3-5 days. My husband has had multiple depressions. Zoloft 50-100mg always worked before. This last one, though, it didn't help. His doc wanted to increase it to 150. He figured it wouldn't help, since his "usual" dose didn't this time.

It did take a few weeks - but it made all the difference in the world.

Hope you get some symptom releif soon.