Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a couple of goats come up with their faces swelled up. The lower jaw and their noses. They can eat and drink but is difficult. Thought it might be from possibly a snake bite but then anotherone has the same thing. One has the runs real bad and Ivamec hasn't seemed to help. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Sounds like bottle jaw from worm overload. The diarrhia is a good sign, too. Ivermectin may not be working in your area anymore. Try cydectin.

If the worm overload is that bad, I'd get them wormed and on some iron supplement... Pig paste iron supplement. Also, get them on vitamin B complex as well.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Look at their gums. Are they white? It could be liver flukes. Two symptoms of liver flukes are swollen faces and white gums (anemia). Valbazen and Ivermectin Plus get rid of flukes and Red cell for the anemia. I know nothing about Cydectin and it might kill flukes too.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Got to have a lymnaeid snail species around for the flukes. Part of their life cycle.

I'd think it's more likely ivermectin-resistant barber pole worms, or another species of worm. A fecal check would tell for sure on the worms.

Of course, dosage is so important on ivermectin, too. If you are not giving enough orally, you will not kill enough worms. In severe load cases, oral administration is best. Also, the symptoms of heavy worm load are a cascade event, which means you may have killed off all the worms, but it will take some time for the symptoms to heal and diminish.

The only way to know for certain is to run a fecal exam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for your help, We rounded them all up and gave them Ivermectin and vit B and also vaccinated them all. The ones with the swollen faces are doing much better. We also gave them a dewormer pellet with some feed. I think we have this under controll now. Again I am grateful to all. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts