sweetening carrots

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by soapmakermom, Aug 15, 2006.

1. soapmakermom

soapmakermom Well-Known Member

I have some carrots that I just planted a couple weeks ago. I want them to be sweet.... is there something I can add (topdress) to make them sweeter?
    Thanks,
    Mary

2. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I think cold weather is supposed to make them sweeter.

3. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Yup, definitely wait for your first frost. Carrots harvested before then will look lovely and taste like nothing at all.

4. soapmakermom

Ok... I hope I did not plant them too soon. They are tiny now. I did not want them to be exposed to too much hot weather.
    What about adding lime or wood ashes? Will that help?
    Mary

5. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

They need water to grow, so make sure they've got plenty. I think too much fertilizer will only make the green tops grow like mad - not what you're looking for. Hard to say whether they've got enough time to grow big - what zone are you in/when is your first frost?

6. soapmakermom

We are in NE Ohio, not sure what zone that is. First hard frost is usually in November. We are protected here in trees, so we don't get a hard frost as soon as some neighbors.
    I planted two raised beds, one with the shorter variety carrots and one with the longer variety, as an experiment. I worked some sand in the soil first, so they'd have plenty of room to stretch.
    Mary