Sweet potatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jo B, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Jo B

Jo B New Member

hello,

Living in northern europe (France) sweet potatoes are an exotic oddity that you see in the supermarket for high prices. But I notice in my north American gardening/food storage books that they are nothing out of the ordinary there.

I've found a catalogue here that will sell me sweet potato "slips" but they are quite expensive.

Is it possible to store them over the winter and then cultivate new plants from them? Are they very fussy about climate? It is quite wet, but mild here - the minus two degrees centigrade we expect here tomorrow is about as cold as it gets, normally.

If you could offer any advice I'd be really grateful.

thanks,
    Jo

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

3. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

basically it goes like this:

acquire a sweetpotato
    leave it in the earth during a time when the earth will be around 70-80 degrees (use manure to raise temp if need be). keep the operation moist.

as the shoots come out of the potato, wait till they get a few leaves then twist off the potato and transplant.

there is one from georgia with a real fast growing season, try getting your hands on that if it gets pretty cold there.

4. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

Well it sounds like you live in a warm enough climate. They do need warm weatehr but with some of the new short season varieties they can be grown in most of the US I'm sure you can grow some kind there probably most.
    If your gonna try to grow you rown starts you can just put s sweet potato in a glass of water (suspend it with toothpicks) and pull off the shoots when they get say 4 inches long. Put the shoots in another glass of water for them to grow roots. Alternatively you can plant the tuber in a pot and pull the shoots off it.
    If you need a short season variety Gergia Jets are one of the best. Lots of US seed suppliers have them but since they sell starts they arent cheap.
    Sweet potatoes are one of the last things we plant they do need warm weather.

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I love sweetpotatoes ,as the previous post said find a quick maturing variety as they like it warm.It would help if you make a cold frame to grow your slips in to give yourself a head start in the spring.

6. Jo B

Jo B New Member

thanks everyone! I shall order the slips from Britain (that way they should be hardy enough for coastal France. Your advice is really great as they were a real mystery to me.
    Jo