Sweet potatoes-yams

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Tamar, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We were filling up with gast the other day and a gentleman was selling a truckload of sweet potatoes. We bought a good sized bag full, and have enjoyed them greatly.

My question is,
    Last spring there were no sweet potatoes to be found in this area for planting...
    Is there a way to take some of these potatoes and keep them to plant next spring?

Last spring I had ordered yukon golds and they came coated with some kind of powder..flour maybe??

If anyone has any ideas on how I can keep these potatoes until spring we would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks and blessings,
    Tamar

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

put them in a cool dry room at about 40 degrees.An unheated room or garage would work make sure they are in the dark and near spring you could take some and put them in a jar of water propped up with tooth picks in the jar and put in a sunny window to start some vines growing.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep them above 55 degrees through the winter. They will keep all winter right in the heated part of the house. We store the ones we raise in the lower kitchen cabinets, and they are still in good shape in the following May.

4. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

Thanks so much!

It won't be a problem with heat here...our stove is in the living room and the kitchen cabinets are never hot. They won't freeze though. Do they need to be in a paper bag? I have a wooden potato box under my cabinet, could they just sit in there?

Thanks again...dreaming on my first sweet potato harvest :)

Blessings,
    Tamar