Sweet potatoes-Marshmallows, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

NO, when I was a kid we always had them with marshmallows on top. When I started fixing Thanksgiving dinner myself, I found a recipe for a sweet potato and apple bake. You chunked up sweet potatoes and apples and poured apple juice over them with a sprinkling of cinnamon. I did not have any apple juice, so I used orange juice instead. That is how I always fix them now.

What do you do to your sweet potatoes?

2. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

Why would anyone even be tempted to eat them otherwise! Ha!

3. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

I make sweet potato pie out of them and add rum or congnac.

I hate marshmallows on the already-sweet yams. Their sweetness should not be out-shown by junk food like marshmallows. (ICK!)

I know I'm about the only one on the planet with that opinion, but that's okay with me. :cool:

4. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

How convenient that you posted this topic! I am looking for some sweet potato recipes. Give me your best shot! :)

5. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

No to marshmallows. Blech!

6. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

NO! I like marshmallows and I like sweet potatoes - but not together!!

7. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

NO!

Butter and a little cinnamon....droooooool

8. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I like to either bake them whole or sautee sweet potatoes. The other night I peeled and sliced a large one up and cooked on the stove top with a little olive oil and garlic. It came out really nice. It was a good balance of sweet and savory. Got a thumbs-up from Dh.

I have had the marshmallow kind they are okay, but a little too sweet for me with dinner. I saw on the Food Network, that women that does the Almost Homemade show, take leftover candied (marshmallow) sweet potatoes and make them into a patty put a dollop of sour cream on it and caviar! Talk about doctoring up a leftover.

Sweet potatoes are also good in muffins. I buy an all natural mix at the small grocery store in town. They are really tasty and low in calories. They even have a biscut mix which I just bought but have not made yet.

9. slnj

slnj Well-Known Member

Yes!! I love them that way. When we were kids, I remember my Granny making the whole Thanksgiving meal and my favorite part was the sweet potato casserole. I have tried and tried over the many years since then, to get even somewhat close to what they tasted like. I haven't managed it yet.
    They were cut in chunks, with brown sugar and butter. I just can't seem to get it right. Hers were tender and covered with that sauce. Marshmallows on top...oooooooo!

10. Sassafrassa

Sassafrassa WorkerBee

No, to the marshmallows. My Mom fixed them that way for years, and I really don't like them. Ugh. One of the few things my Mom cooks that I don't enjoy. I try to scrape the marshmallows off.

I make mine (usually) with brown sugar, butter and pecans. This year, I am trying a crockpot recipe with apples, butter, cinamon, and sprinkled with granola and pecans right before serving. Sounds pretty yummy, and it will save me some oven space!

I like the savory and sweet together, and will have to try the garlic and olive oil idea. Mmmm.

Sassa

11. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

Definately no! butter, and a little honey if you think you need them sweeter than they are already.

12. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

well...depends. I love the Paula Deen recipe with the sweet potato wrapped around a marshmallow. More of a dessert than a side dish. Made them a few years ago and they disappeared so fast.

I might do it again this year but maybe for Christmas.
    Crystal

13. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Bleck! Why do people insist on turning a perfectly good vegetable into a sugary dessert?

Sweet potato around here is prepared by peeling and dicing. Get some chopped onions sauteing in a heavy bottomed pan with a dollop of butter, and when they've browned nicely, add the diced sweet potato and enough chicken stock to about half cover them. Put on a tight-fitting lid and turn down the heat to barely a simmer. Let them simmer until the liquid is absorbed. You can either mash them at this point or not, but serve hot.

Marshmallows are for s'mores, IMHO.

14. Fryegirl

Fryegirl Well-Known Member

Bake and slice length-wise, put into a buttered baking dish, sprinkle with a little cinnamon and brown sugar. The top with dark King's syrup, dot with butter and bake until the sweet potatoes are 'candied'.

NO marshmallows.

15. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Marshmellows, brown sugar, pecans, butter and pineapple rings!

16. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

Now your talking good.......

17. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

NO!
    Just butter.

BooBoo

18. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, thinly sliced orange and lemon.

19. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

Yes, Marshmallows!

We mash them with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, crushed pineapple and grated carrot.

Sure its super sweet, but its only once a year.

20. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Patnewmex, what do you mean, marshmallows are junk food? HERETIC!!!!! ;)

Put marshmallows on half the casserole, leave them off the other half. Then them that wants 'em can have 'em, and them that don't -- won't. :)

Junk food indeed... Hmph!

hehe...

Pony!