Sweet potatoe plants??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by james dilley, Dec 19, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Another Stupid Question?? When you start slips does it matter which end is in the water. As you can see where the vine was. That end or the other?? Any thoughts As I want to start my slips in A few days to get them ready to plant in 60 days. I Am going to start the slips in A water jar method. Thanks..

2. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

The end that was closest to the potato is the end that goes into the water.

3. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Okay James, you thought you had a silly question - heres one for you. Can these be started with sweet potatoes you buy at the store?? (we didn't grow any of our own this year) :)

4. james dilley

Yes you can use store bought. Just will Not know type. Thats all.

5. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

6. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;When growing your own slips don't forget to trim off the bottom 3-4 inches of roots.This is where the naturally occuring Swt.Potato diseases are carried.-

7. james dilley

Now that And A lot more I did not know thanks for the advice. Happy Holidays and A very Merry Christmas.

8. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I had bought a couple of sweet potatoes at the farm market. They sat on the kitchen counter for a week or so before I noticed that one was starting to sprout. I laid it into a dish of water until it developed a few roots, then transferred it to a clay pot. It stayed on my kitchen counter, in a south window, for at least 4 months, vining up and up and up, along the top of the cupboards, across the curtain rod, over to the other side of the window. It required an enormous amount of water, and was quite a conversation starter.
    White flies developed and seemed to take over and I really didn't want this at my sink any more so it was set outside at the start of the summer. It never grew any potatoes though.