Sweet potato plants............

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Can someone tell me how to grow slips off this sweet potato that wants to spout??? Thanks. DEE

2. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I break mine off as close to the base of the shoot at the tater as possible. Or you can take a knife and cut it off at the bottom. Then I just put them in a glass of water until they root. Once rooted, throw them in the garden.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Put 4 toothpicks in to the middle of the potato, suspend it in a container of water and keep the water near the top.The sprouts will grow to about 20 inches when you want to take them out to plant. Hoe up a hill lengthwise as far as you want potatoes, take the sprouts (called slips) and place then across the hill so that each end overhangs to the sides. Now press the middle of the slip down into the earth enought that the remainder stands up. Start saving up to buy real butter to eat when your potatoes are ready. :p

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Remember to not let the potato root anywhere along it's length after it starts growing. If the vine is allowed to touch the ground it will root and you will not get as many potatoes.

5. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Can you do the toothpick thing with potatoes bought at the store?

If one wants to set them out about June 1, when would you start them indoors?

Could you get more slips per potato by cutting the slips into say 4" pieces and potting them indoors?

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

1. Yes, I do.

2. Now is a good time.

3. 4 inches is too short. They need to be at least 12 inches long. Put the bottoms in sharp damp sand to root well before setting out.

7. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Cyngbaeld

Thanks!

bruce

8. Turkeyfether

Turkeyfether Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if you can grow sweet potatoes with the stacked"Tire " method like you can with regular potatoes?