Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a sweet potato pie recipe they would be willing to share? I've been asked to make one for Thanksgiving dinner this year and have NEVER made one. Please and thank you!!!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
all recipes has quite a few that are good I just don't remember which one I used. I like there review system. I love a sweet potato pie and it is so easy to make from scratch. Son (14)had a nice first crop of potatoes this year so I will be needing to make a few too.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Love, love, LOVE sweet potato pie...easy and a great way to use up leftover sweet tators.
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. Mashed sweet potatoes
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 c. Milk
1 unbaked pie shell
Beat sugar and eggs. Mix in sweet potatoes, cinnamon, vanilla, and butter. Then mix in milk. Pour into pie shell and bake about an hour at 350F.

We prefer it warm...but nobody has complained about eating it cold either. ;)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here's the recipe I have been making for over 20 years. I originally got the recipe from a nice lady. :)

Sweet potato pie
3 sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup evaporated milk
2 (9 inch) unbaked 9 inch pie crusts

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add sweet potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 30 minutes. Drain, cool, peel and mash. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, butter, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk and blend into the sweet potato mixture.
Pour into pie shells and bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until done.

A few observations:
If you want a fluffy pie beat the eggs instead of just whisking them (I just barely whisk together the eggs and milk).
Some say 3 sweet potatoes - but they come in different sizes. I use medium to large sweet potatoes.
Also a large can of sweet potatoes can be used - just drain the liquid first then mash (A time saving step if one doesn't have fresh sweet taters).
I like the pies either as is, or with some fresh whipped cream on top. Some might like different spices added in - but the recipe is delicious as is.
Deeper pie crusts work better than shallow pie crusts (unless you want to make more than two pies). :)

If you decide to make this recipe, let me know how it turns out for you. I never have any leftovers when I make these. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
I make the Libby's recipe but sub sweet potato for pumpkin. I love them more than pumpkin pies. They are far tastier. BUT, you have to cook sweet potatoes for the pie, and NOT use that nasty, flavorless canned stuff. :thumb:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your speedy replies!!! I appreciate your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts