Sweet Potaoe Slips - same as with potatoes?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by birdie_poo, Apr 18, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I have a sweet potatoe that is starting to grow. Will it work if I cut that hunk off and plant it, just like a potatoe, or do they require any special attention?

2. I just bought sweet potato slips today so I think what they do is wait till several inches high then break the slips off the tuber. Thats what they look like they done to mine. If anybody is reading this can you tell me just when to plant the slips and how? The first year I planted sweet taters they done real good for me but I haven't had any luck since.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Let the vines grow and take cuttings from the vines. They need to be about a foot long. Stick the bottom in damp sand and keep it damp in bright, indirect light till it roots. You will get many more cuttings per potato than if you break the vines off. This is the way the Chinese peasant farmers do, BTW.

4. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. What I read said to put the sweet taters in water and pull off the slips when they had roots...I did that, got some nice slips, but the ones above the water had no roots, and below the water there was only roots from the eyes, no slips. I wondered what went wrong...So I just cut one up and planted it in sections (that one is so far so good), the second one got dug up by some animal (or child). This was a first time for me so I was starting out small to see how it worked (and we had some late cold weather, or at least too cold for sweet taters...)

How many of you knew that the tops were edible too? I'm going to try them, and maybe feed them to our rabbits later on...