Sweet corn question.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Terri, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

This spring I planted sweet corn. It came up poorly, grew to 1' tall, tasseled and died. There was nothing edible, of course!

In August, I planted a different variety of sweet corn, which grew to 1' tall and tasseled. I will get nothing from that, also.

Was it just me, or is sweet corn really WIERD this year? Does anybody know what is happening? The weather has been WIERD this year, which MIGHT be the cause, but??????

2. How good is your soil? Have you planted there before with any luck? How early in the spring did you plant the corn and did you till the soil every few days or so? Did you throw dirt to the cornstalk as it was growing? This makes a big difference here where I live.

3. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Corn can't stand wet soil. It also needs plenty of nitrogen in the form of either organic materials or synthetic fertilizer.
    If wet soil, change location next season (can't do anything about Mother Nature). Pile on the manure and or fertilizer according to a soil test taken this fall.
    Ann

4. Terri

We DID have more rain than usual this spring: It is possible the soil got too wet. And, yes, I have grown corn there before and the soil was reasonably fertile.

I am stumped about the problems with the Fall crop, though! I don't usually plant corn in August, but then I thought why not?

5. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but if you planted corn there before, did you fertilize after? Corn sucks up nitrogen like crazy. If your yield was only "reasonably good" last time, the soil may just be too nitrogen-poor after one crop.

But like I said, I'm no expert. And don't most corn varieties take 80+/- days to yield?

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Ditto on corn being a heavy nitrogen feeder. You'll need to side dress, plus perhaps use a foliar feed spray.

7. Terri

I grew field peas last fall and I turned them under: The garden had been fertilized but not heavily.

More fertilizer might have helped, but the pumpkins loved what I did, so I don't think they were SEVERELY shorted!

The fall corn WAS sidedressed not too long ago, just as it was reaching 1 foot tall but before I saw tassels. The spring corn was not.

WEATHER this year was very wet in the spring, record setting heat and dry as a bone during the summer (Exceptionally so, trees were starting to yellow!). I did water, but with that heat.......

Normal weather late summer so I tried some veggies in August, with lots of water. The weather now is lovely, though it is definately cool for corn. Lows are mostly in the 50's, and corn does not like it below 55 degrees.

And, I planted a very short season variety of corn. I would not have been surprised if it did not produce before weather killed it, but I was startled to see it tasseling too soon AGAIN! :grump:

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Don't panic, my corn crop was a bust this year too as were many of my friends. Luckily I did have one friend with a great crop that gave us plenty. I'm going to test my soil and see if next year improves. My garden has grown great crops of corn before and gets plenty of organic matter. Funny thing is in the past I've had drainage problems that left the garden flooded. this year I fixed that somewhat and didn't have flooding.