Sweelix

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Oldntimes, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Oldntimes

Oldntimes Well-Known Member

Anyone using Sweetlix or any opinions at all. What is best the 16:8 Meat Maker® (987) or the 16:8 Meat Maker® with Rumensin® (986). I was wondering if the Rumensin would be to much for all the time.

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Now you got me wondering which one I have. The only place that I can find it has one for sheep and one for goats. I make sure that they get me the one for goats. Did not know that there was more than one kind for goats though. Thanks for posting. Maybe someone will come back and help us both. :)

3. Blue Oak Ranch

Blue Oak Ranch Well-Known Member

I use the Sweetlix 16:8 without Rumensin. I really like the changes I've seen with my goats since using it - less copper deficiency, smoother coats, and fewer breeding problems.

I wouldn't feed the Rumensin because although it's a coccidiostat, I prefer to use management rather than medication as a preventative. I do use Deccox in the kid's milk, though, because they have little immunity to coccidia at that point, and adults under good management should be immune.

Cheers!

Katherine

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I use the Sweetlix Meatmaker minerals for goats. I use the one with rumensin, because it disrupts the life cycle of coccidae. I had a bad problem with cocci when I bought my 10 dairy babies in from a large goat dairy. Took a long time to resolve.

I found that once I started using the Sweetlix all my goats became much healthier and lost all signs of copper deficiency. I recommend it to everyone.

5. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I've been using the meatmaker without rumensin, but ordered the ones with (should come next week) and will use those from now on. I have never had a problem with cocci and have never used a preventative before, but what the heck, these are available and I already use their products. I also put out regular loose dairy minerals. I really like them, the goats really like them, and I've noticed a real difference in my herd health in the 18 months I've been using them. In the winter, I buy the regular blocks for the barn, but come summer, I'll use the big tubs in the pasture (last longer). I use the sweetlix sheep blocks and horse blocks too.

6. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

DocM the sweetlix meat maker with Rum is not for free choice. It says on the tag to put in feed at a certin rate and not to leave out free choice.

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

8. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Just make sure no horses can get to the product with rumensin.

It will kill them.

9. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I use the sweetlix meat makers without, lit is free choice and I have the blocks in several areas so they have a choice of what they want.

10. Gailann Schrader

December 1997
    Volume 2, Issue 4
    Quarterly Publication of the Arizona Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory and Cooperative Extension

The clinical signs begin 12-24 hours after consumption of
    an acutely toxic dose but may be delayed for days or
    weeks in the case of chronic low level intoxication. The
    signs of acute intoxication in horses may include some or
    all of the following depending on dose and the individual:
    colic, intermittent sweating, ataxia, muscle weakness,
    tachycardia, myoglobinuria, polyuria followed by oliguria,
    respiratory distress, and recumbency. Again, depending on
    dose and individual susceptibility, death can occur in less
    than 24 hours. Animals surviving the acute intoxication
    and those with chronic intoxication may exhibit signs of
    progressive congestive heart failure, poor growth, and
    poor weight gain due to the toxic effects on the myocar-
    dium. Sudden deaths in the weeks or even months follow-
    ing intoxication have been reported.

**I even use different CANS/SCOOPS when I'm feeding rumensin feed so I don't get it mixed up with the horse can/scoop. I also mark the feed bin with POISON TO HORSES in case someone tries to hand feed my animals...

11. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Thanks Gailann. I do have horses with my goats. I don't know if the block has Rumensin in it, do you? I know one of my horses ae about a 1/2 block, several months ago. I have it way out of their reach now, I thought I did before but he proved me wrong.

12. Gailann Schrader

Sorry, I don't feed Sweetlix. It's not readily available to me.

It should be on the product OR you could Google/DogPile it and see which products have it.

Good luck on your search!

I feed loose minerals to the goats and hard block salt to the horses.

Rumensin does great for goats...

13. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

I use the SweetLix block for goats too & didn't realize there were different versions, I'll have to see which one it is. I think my mill only offers the one. My problem is if I leave it out the goats eat the whole thing in about a week, I've been meaning to post to see if this is normal? I have around 25 adults in the pen I put it in. I was thinking about switching to the loose minerals to see if they still consumed as much. Does anyone know if this is too much or are they really that mineral deficient? The blocks cost around $13 ea. so it's not real thrifty either. These goats also get about 3 bales of quality mixed grass/clover hay and about a gallon & 1/2 of 16% meat goat pellets once a day. I'm new in the goats, we started w/2 bred does last year, but everyone appears to be in good shape and no obvious health problems save some feet issues that came with them. Anyway I'd be happy for any input you have to offer on these questions.

14. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Eek, maybe I won't go to rumesin. Like I said, I haven't ever had a case of cocci on this farm, don't know anyone 'round here who has, and my horses are worse than the goats about getting out. I think I'll just stick with the blocks.

15. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

annie716, per the website it says 2 to 4 oz per head per day and with 25 head, one block would be eaten in 7 days. But you do realize the block is intended to be used as a protein block for famers who do not feed a goat feed. If you feed goat feed you would be better off with the loose meat maker mineral. Alot of people use the block in the summer months when they are not feeding a goat feed to meet the protein requirements and mineral requirements in one.

16. Oldntimes

Oldntimes Well-Known Member

Thanks, I am glad I posted.
    I had to order it so I was not aware of the rumesin being not free Choice, I am glad I ordered it with out.

17. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I have 10 does who aren't getting grained, they go through a meat maker block in 7 days, been using them quite awhile, no adverse effects.

18. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Good that is what they are intended for. Website says 2 to 4 oz per head so the amount can vary.

19. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

Thanks, no I guess I miss understood, TS sells a feed block but I was just intending the Sweetlix block to supplement minerals, I'll do some reading. Thanks! They really don't get enough grain to more than be a sure thing to bring them to the barn if they get loose. I really don't want to feed grain but some of them were in such bad condition when we got them I was worried the hay wouldn't be enough. Most are starting to look good now after about 4 months.

20. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Annie716 if you are not wanting to feed grain then the sweetlix protein block is a great alternative to ensure they are getting protein along with the hay.