Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,445 Posts
While I don't understand why anyone would purchase any NFL item in any colors other than Green and Gold this is a business decision for ETSY. How much pressure they recieved to make this decision, I don't know. Don't like it, make your feelings known to them and they may change back. As for the swastikas, the items seem to fall into two categories. One is vintage items including stamps and medals from the Nazi era, the other is largely handmade items using more traditional forms of the symbol used for millennia. Banning the vintage items might be appropriate, but might also be just a different form of political corrrectness.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
While I don't understand why anyone would purchase any NFL item in any colors other than Green and Gold this is a business decision for ETSY. How much pressure they recieved to make this decision, I don't know. Don't like it, make your feelings known to them and they may change back. As for the swastikas, the items seem to fall into two categories. One is vintage items including stamps and medals from the Nazi era, the other is largely handmade items using more traditional forms of the symbol used for millennia. Banning the vintage items might be appropriate, but might also be just a different form of political corrrectness.

Agreed that banning the Nazi historical items would be nothing more than another form of PC.

But so is banning the Redskins Logo..

So why is it that Etsy finds one offensive and not the other? Oh wait I already know the answer.

They are nothing more than liberals who think they know best for others. Just wait till it turns on them..

I say we start a movement and ban the Etsy logo because I'm sure we can find someone who finds it offensive...

I've already informed those that I regularly buy from, I will no longer do it through Etsy or Ebay for that matter. Those companies have chosen to be political or PC. So I've chosen not to do business with or through them.

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
So why is it that Etsy finds one offensive and not the other? Oh wait I already know the answer.

They are nothing more than liberals who think they know best for others. Just wait till it turns on them..
That just doesn't make sense aren't liberals by definition , well liberal ? :shrug:

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
That just doesn't make sense aren't liberals by definition , well liberal ? :shrug:

You would think that, but that isn't the reality..

They are only open minded if they agree with the issue/topic.

As a general rule most public schools and colleges are considered to be run by the liberals. Yet they create Free Speech zones and even then they dictate what can be said in those zones.. So much for Free Speech.

If you as a teacher as a student, who influenced them most, you would think an honest answer would be acceptable.

But there are too many instances where the student replies with Jesus or Christ and the teacher either fails the student or tells them to remove the former from the assignment..

So much for Liberals being liberal. Those are just a two examples that have been in the news lately.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
I looked at at least the first page of the etsy site. There are historical items for sale along with items of non-german religious and cultural origin.

So I'm confused about your point. Are you saying that because the Nazis appropriated an ancient symbol (I remember seeing a piece of pre classical Greek pottery with a swastika design) that no one is allowed to use it ever again? Or that there should be no content consideration on commercial sites at all?

·
Dallas
13,852 Posts
Swastika's were in use long long before the Nazi's used it.

Now if a football team used it as it's symbol, I'd probably have an issue - especially if the entire team was blond and blue eyed.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I looked at at least the first page of the etsy site. There are historical items for sale along with items of non-german religious and cultural origin.

So I'm confused about your point. Are you saying that because the Nazis appropriated an ancient symbol (I remember seeing a piece of pre classical Greek pottery with a swastika design) that no one is allowed to use it ever again? Or that there should be no content consideration on commercial sites at all?
I'd wager that nearly every adult alive today associates that symbol with Nazi Germany rather than a piece of ancient pottery. While its origins have nothing to do with Nazis, its USE (in modern times) is what makes it "toxic" (couldn't think of a better word).

While I don't agree with some company's determination of what is and is not offensive or PC, they can, of course, do as they please.

I know I won't be adorning my front door with a swastika any time soon.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
I'd wager that nearly every adult alive today associates that symbol with Nazi Germany rather than a piece of ancient pottery. While its origins have nothing to do with Nazis, its USE (in modern times) is what makes it "toxic" (couldn't think of a better word).

While I don't agree with some company's determination of what is and is not offensive or PC, they can, of course, do as they please.

Then education is the key. Because looking at the site, apparently it is a symbol used currently in a number of religions, starting long before the existence of the Nazis.

That is one of the basic wrongnesses of political correctness. What political correctness is at heart is the bullying of people based on stereotypes. Being told what to think based on the teller's personal opinion.

·
Banned
10,456 Posts

Can they cake maker's are not allowed to make such business decisions that are not political supporting homosexuals agendas.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
I don't believe for a minute that Etsy got sooooooo many complaints about Redskins merchandise, that's why they felt the need to create the policy. More like, the owners/management created the policy based on their own PC-ness.

Reactions: beowoulf90

·
Unapologetically me
20,942 Posts
Now we are dealing with "progressives", a resurgent evil.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Well, it's certainly not the first time that some group has stolen somebody else's symbolism or ritual, claimed it, pretended they invented it and then tried to monopolize it for their own selves. Nazis didn't create and don't have a monopoly on the swastika and if other people can only associate the swastika with Nazis it's because of ignorance and poor education.

But that kind of ignorance is no excuse and no reason to try to prevent the buying and selling of items that have representations of certain symbols on them whether they're considered evil or PC or not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts