Swamp Monster Of Big Creek

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OD, Dec 27, 2004.

1. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I thought y'all might like to hear the story behind the legend of the swamp monster of Big Creek. There's a hunting party that goes looking for it about once a month, but it's a sneaky, illusive creature, & they can't find hide nor hair of it. I know why, but I'm not telling.....

We have this friend that likes to walk in plowed fields & look for arrowheads. All spring, he'd been wanting to walk a sweet potato field that was way back from the road, down in a big creek bottom. The owner didn't like him & had told him to stay out, but he just couldn't, & one day he didn't have to work because it rained so much the night before, so he snuck in from the back side & started walking the rows.
    It was awful muddy, & his new jeans were about to get dirty & the wife wouldn't like that, so he decided to just strip down naked & keep all his clothes clean. Everything went fine for awhile & he had gotten way out in the middle of the field when he heard a truck coming. It was too late to get back to the woods, so the only thing he could think of to do was lie down between the rows & kinda cover up with tater vines. This might have worked out fine except that the farmer had a truckload of field hands & he left them there to do a little hoeing.
    Well, old Bob lay there trying to think how to get out of the mess he was in, but he couldn’t come up with anything, so he just kept on lying there. Every once in awhile, he'd raise up & kinda peep out at them & they were getting closer & closer. Finally one of them got so close that he decided that it was time to stand up & see what was gonna happen.
    Now he was pretty muddy after lying there in the mud for half an hour & all of a sudden, he had an idea. He smeared mud everywhere on him that there wasn't already mud, & broke off a few tater vines & hung them over his head & arms & just as one of the hands got right up to where he was lying, he stood up & roared.
    He said, "I must have looked pretty scary, because they all dropped their hoes & took off running & screaming."
    He said he ran for the woods & grabbed his clothes as he went by & got out of there quick before they stopped & started thinking about what he could have been.
    Later, there was a rumor that there is a swamp monster down on Big Creek but nobody has seen it since that one time last spring.

2. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Good story OD. I love those tales of the supernatural. LOL

3. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

it was you wasn't it ? :haha:

Very good story.

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

No....but it was somebody that's a little closer than a "friend".
    :eek:

5. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Yer Da :)