Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any ideas of how to build one? I have the big chicken house fans and several old radiators - copper tubing. What else do I need?
Thanks

·
Registered
964 Posts
Lets start with definitions, since you mention radiators. A "swamp cooler" is typically a system that has a water reservoir, a pump, a mesh that water flows over, and a fan. No radiators needed. If you have a source of cold water that you use for things like watering the garden, then you can use that and the radiators for a different type of system. To operate the cooler, you pump the water evenly over the mesh, and pull air through the mesh.

On to the design part... :)

A simple system that uses a box fan can be found here. or here,

Since you will be mixing water and electricity, its a VERY good idea to use a GFI (ground fault interrupter) on your power supply. They make extension cords with them, if your outlet doesn't have one.

Whats the humidity level in GA? You can only cool down to within 3-4 degrees of the wet-bulb temperature. Atlanta has a dewpoint of 69deg right now, so you will not be able to cool down to more than 73deg F. It'll be 100% humidity, so its not that comfortable. On a hot day, however... any help is good.

If you want to do a ground water cooling system, we can help with that as well. Its more suitable for higher humidity climates, and is a great option if you're using the water anyway.

Michael

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Well the "swamp coolers" we had when we lived in El Paso were made with straw mats and a fan and a pump..
The pump would pump the water onto the straw mats and the fan would draw air through the wet mats and into the house. The only problem I see with this type of cooling is that while it worked in the El Paso area it wouldn't work here in PA. The reason is the humidity..It was great in the dry climate of the southwest, but here in PA where it is humid it really doesn't cool that well..

Ok, so if you are going to try it, the only thing that I see you might need is a pump to keep the water circulating through the radiators... You will also need a source of cold water to run through the radiators. It might work since you are talking about a closed system. Good luck and let us know how it works for you..

·
Unapologetically me
21,911 Posts
A guy I knew had a tractor radiator mounted in the wall of his shop. He had a fan attached to it on the inside and a garden hose attached to the radiator and the petcock opened just enough to let the water circulate. The fan would pull the cold air off the radiator into the shop and the runoff watered his garden.
That set up would keep it nice and cool.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Is the humidity low enough in Georgia for evaporative (swamp) coolers to work? The humidity needs to be below 50% for them to have any effect.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
As others have mentioned a swamp cooler really won't work in GA or for that matter anywhere that has high humidity.

Here in Denver, they work great, but a humid day for us is 30% humidity. When the humidity is that high the swamp cooler doesn't seem to provide that much relief, or at least it's not as noticiable as when the humidity is "normaL' and in the teens.

However, you could make one of these fairly easily.
Homebrew AC/ basic heat exchanger
http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~gmilburn/ac/

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
Cornhusker said:
A guy I knew had a tractor radiator mounted in the wall of his shop. He had a fan attached to it on the inside and a garden hose attached to the radiator and the petcock opened just enough to let the water circulate. The fan would pull the cold air off the radiator into the shop and the runoff watered his garden.
we were thinking of doing something similar with our swimmimng pool, run the cool pool water through a rad system (our buildings have hot water heat )and dump the warmed water in the pool. has not been hot enough this year though!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Swamp cooler in GA? Fogeddabadit!!!! Too humid.

You could drill two wells, pump up water from one and inject it back in the other, and run it through coils. Then blow a fan through them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cornhusker said:

Cornhusker
I think I must have been in the same shop because this sounds like what I am trying to do. I have a friend that has one in her barn and it is always nice and cool in their.

Thanks everyone for the info and links!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here in New Mexico, all but the very wealthy among us get by with "swamp coolers", which as mentioned in earlier posts work by adding humidity to our normally very dry air. What you are talking about building might work, depending on the temperature of water you moved through the radiator and the air velocity through it, but it is NOT a swamp cooler (completely different physics involved).

Lots of times large buildings will have "chillers" which cool water and move it through a heat exchanger affair (like a radiator). An "air handler" moves the air across the thing and into the duct work. This is what you are talking about building actually.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.