Homesteading Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not interested in selling, but I am willing to work with the right people to give them a start. Life has taken me away from a farm that I love and now all I can do is visit a few times during the year. I miss working and puttering around the mountain there, but most of all I hate to see all my work swallowed up by the weeds. One day I hope to return to it and retire.

The present caretakers are moving out so I thought I'd try this again.

The farm: 22.5 acres, 1912 Farmhouse fully updated and restored in 2005, Cabin on mountaintop in process of finishing, five barns, 90% fenced, good spring, small pond, river across street, 300 undeveloped wooded acres surround farm, small town, summer folk, near larger towns, great outdoor activities, great neighbors, fishing and hunting close by.

The land is in a private conservation easement and will always have a caretaker, hence the two houses. It is a barter arrangement and not a paid position.

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not sick or looking for anybody who will have to take care of me. Over the years buildings have been broken into, trees cut, rare plants dug up, etc.. It is in the best interest of the conservation for someone to live on site.

I'm single and have no kids. After my death the conservation protects my rights and wishes forever. So for the right person this could be a life time thing if they so desire. My trustees will have use of the cabin for family vacations. The farmhouse will remain as a caretakers residence.

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please post questions here or PM me and I will answer them. This is a process and I do not always have the best connection.

Thank You

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Need non-smoker, does not mean going to quit if I get this chance or will not smoke in the house or can hide smoking during visits. Means NON-SMOKER, I do not care if you were a smoker at one time, just be honest with me now.
No drugs, see above if you need clarification.
Little/no drinking, this means a glass with supper at the most.
Respectful person/couple/family. This is a small community, I will hear about everything that happens no matter where I am in the world. You will be given the chance to learn firsthand everything you want to know from the people here, but you must give them respect to get knowledge back. It will not all happen overnight either, so come into this with the mindset of a slower lifestyle.
Are you Self motivated? There is a lot of work involved if you want to simplify your life and eat from the land. Folks will help you out all they can, but they have just as much if not more work on their side of the fence. If you like the idea of sitting on the front porch drinking tea all day and watching the river flow by while your neighbor is planting his garden and then expect him to mow the grass on both sides of the fence then you will find a neighbor soon too busy with other things to help you out when you need him most.

Be of good character

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm looking for someone who wants to live off the grid as much as possible, practice organic methods, learn new things and experiment with ways to help mother earth. This was once the beginning of a small community made up of friends with big ideas. I still have the original mission statement and goals for the teaching farm that was going to be set up. Life took us down other paths though.
I prefer someone who is a bit of a greenhorn, but thirsts for knowledge and wants to experiment and maybe buck the established rules a bit. I'm talking about growing tomatoes in January, rotational grazing, etc. I will share my knowledge gleaned, as will those around me through e-mail or phone calls with the asking. They will have to listen and weigh others thoughts though first before making a decision and not bulldoze over everyone around them. Neighbors concerns must be answered and addressed before anything happens that would affect them.

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pets and livestock are welcome as long as you take care of them and keep them fenced in. I grew up working for the Humane Society my grandparents started, this is a strict condition. I want to maintain good relations with my neighbors and they do not want someone living next door who is disrespectful. I also do not like getting calls that my caretakers pets are attacking their little dog. All animals must be kept up to date with shots and rabies, dogs and cats must have a county license and everything must be under control at all times.
I raised and showed Silkies for a few years, there are two coops ready to be put to use. A tobacco barn sits up the mountain and my horses have called it home for 12 years. Cows, pigs, horses and lots of goats have all called the farm home at one time or another. In fact I think the back 300 acres still has a herd of goats loose from many, many years ago.

An orchard was planted 10 years ago, but after I left it grew over with blackberries.

I hand dug a pond, but silt has all but filled it in. I'd like to get some equipment in one day and put in a proper stream bed and pond system that could be use to raise fish and propagate plants.

With my job I have the cash now to invest in the land and build my cabin, but not the time. Ideally I would like to find someone who is willing to barter an investment of their time while learning for a free place to stay and use of the land to grow an organic style garden.

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some construction experience would be helpful. I started building a tree house that quickly expanded into a three room cabin. Plans include a 32’ greenhouse for winter heating, wood fired sauna, large decks for watching the river below, skylights for ventilation, recycled wood, hardwood floors, solar panels, composting toilet, greywater system, and an on demand water heater. I’ve been building and purchasing things as my time allows so right now there is stacks of materials ready to be put to use.

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The caretaker would have use of the finished farmhouse. It has two bedrooms, one bath, a small kitchen with electric stove and refrigerator, living room, den with door, and attic could be finished off in an afternoon-its partially wired and insulated. House has septic tank, city water, electricity, front porch overlooking river and a very large Beech Tree for a swinging chair. I'm told that high speed Internet might be available but you would need to double check if its an important item, I had it in town, but that was 4 miles away from the farm.

Caretakers agree to:

Maintain the entire 22 +/- acres in a well kept state:
Without obvious trash build up either on the land or in any buildings.
Grass is to be kept mowed from the road to behind the farmhouse so as to give a clear view of the lower half of the property and the buildings. (+/- 2 acres)
Keep brush cleared from woods and trails.
Plant mixed forest from US Forestry seedlings provided on a yearly basis in areas that were logged.
Maintain 5 cords of firewood at cabin.
Pick up supplies as requested.
Voluntarily help out with ongoing projects
Keep people off the property that have not been given permission to enter.
Act as a steward and a representative of Natural Beauty Farm with everyone they encounter.
Keep up with their personal expenses and appearance.
Keep an open line of communication and farm updates through e-mail or phone calls on a regular basis
Maintain fences if livestock is kept.
Take responsibility for their own actions and any livestock that gets out

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was very frugal with my electric and it ran $19 a month for the entire farm, I think its running a lot higher now, the remodel did add a heat pump which the caretakers used exclusively, I had propane and a wood stove. Water is $30 for 2 months I THINK, I used the spring water, had to go city water to get loan. Electric and water are the caretakers expense, insurance will not allow a wood stove in the farmhouse, sorry. I'm willing to let you do the research though to convince him otherwise and take out a separate policy.

Living room is fixed up for a wood stove for heat, but there is not one right now. It was one of the surprising things I did get to keep in the remodel. If you cut wood off the property then your electric bills should stay low. Dead trees may be cut for firewood, but 2 trees have to be planted in their place. ( I cover that cost, you supply the labor) Land is 50/50 forest and pasture right now. 5 acres was logged of big trees and scrub left by the previous owners family and needs to be cleaned up and replanted. Brush and undergrowth can be cleared without a problem. Basically the caretaker and I just have to have a very open line of communication and plan things out a week or month or year if its possible in advance. Its pretty easy since I'm the executor of the easement.

House comes unfurnished.

Neighbors are great I miss them.

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me: 40, self taught IT guy, work beside a service dog in the woods with youth who have “issues” around the country so I only get to visit on quick trips during the summer. Some winters I get to spend more time, but not every year, grew up trapezing through the woods and land in 6 different states, know a lot about animals and taking care of the land and willing to share it all, but still have a lot to learn, spent most of my adult life living and working in communes around the country (think Asheville, wanta be hippy children not Texas cults), logged over 25K miles of backpacking, worked since I was 8, owned too many businesses to keep track of or count, decided at a young age to invest my paychecks in land, built houses for homeless families, remodeled 8 houses so far, built a log cabin, two tree houses, taught classes on building yurts and domes for low cost housing alternatives, lost two of the people I loved to a drunk driver, have no time for selfish individuals or people who take advantage of others, surrounded by an amazing group of friends, love traveling and life.

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most supplies are there already, or were. Fencing is in fields, The way I look at it, if its there and I don't have plans to use it on the cabin then it belongs on another part of the farm and I will let the caretaker decide what to do with it (within reason). If something is for my enjoyment or the conservation then I will foot the bill for supplies (within reason, ie I will order or know ahead of time the cost and agree to it) If you want to build a 30 foot greenhouse and the parts in the barn will only build a 20 foot, then the caretaker will foot the extra 10 foot cost. I will work with anybody within reason, but I would have to have a proposal detailing the cost benefits to the conservation and myself before writing a check for something that only benefits one person. Does that sound too mean or unreasonable? On the other hand though if everyone is in agreement for a big idea and a master plan is drawn up then I can see a budget being set out for a grand improvement. I would need some time to see commitment though first. Like I said the biggest thing for me is open communication. People do look out for me there and I hear everything eventually. That being said there is an evaluation every 90 days by one of the board members for the first two years. Unless there is a problem that needs to be addressed though they are very informal if communication has been very open and fluid.

Garden is up to the caretakers, local forest service already has been working with the farm for the change over of trees. Basically it means I have the right people around in April to plant (trust me I can pull 50 people to help if I have supervisors)
I think it will help in your thinking to separate the present short term things as the caretakers financial responsibilities and enjoyment from the 50 - 100 year things that are my contributions to generations for use. Knowledge wise I will share all, financially for short term not so much. Long term its all in for me, but I would like some labor contribution from the caretaker. Does this make any sense? If someone wants to raise chickens, then they need to buy the chickens and be responsible for their care 100%, I have no interest in raising chickens from another part of the country. Yes, they will be improving the farm in their eyes and maybe I will reap some benefit if they leave in the middle of the night, but that is why the use of the farm is free. They have not lost much besides time and hopefully very little $$ was involved, if they learned something then it would be even to me, education costs sometimes, lets hope I can keep everyone on the plus side though. If they left and the next caretaker decided that they wanted a board fence around the farm then I do not want to set myself up to be responsible for that cost.

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Goals are simple for myself and the land..... fix driveway (construction has left pot holes on upper road), finish cabin (long project), improve soil, plant mixed forest in place of pines

Goals that someone might want to take on...get orchard up, fix/finish fences if animals are to be kept, dig pond, plant flowers, put in terraced garden for full sun benefit, repair barns- projects that I would expect someone who wanted to make a place their home to take on, but nothing that I or anyone else would require be done. As I said this is for the protection of the land and wild animals that live on it, letting someone use it to make a small farm is a bonus to the caretakers. That being said the farm is home to Birds of Prey and anyone who wants to raise fowl will have to keep the animals in a covered pen or live in harmony with the feeding habits of the protected birds.

The barns: If I had my way they would be torn down, the beautiful wood recycled into interior housing materials for the community. If someone decided to raise livestock a better barn could be built. But they would have to want to make a long term commitment.

The land is not all flat, tractors do not work but in a small field so I used tillers and muscle, its mountain land and its is Beautiful. There is nothing like sitting on the top of a mountain watching the river below and having Red Tail Hawks or Golden Eagles flying at eye level with you 25 feet away.

For someone who wants to make a go at this. I think there is lots of opportunities to bring in extra income and still protect the land.

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As you can see I'm pretty easy going and am not looking for anybody to commit 40+ hours in exchange for free rent. If I can have piece of mind that anything I store at the farm is safe and will not be sold or taken without my permission, my time is maximized when I am able to come there (might ask you to pick up a box of nails etc.. if I'm coming in late one night and wanting to work the next morning...Hardware store is 2 hour round trip drive, but I give plenty of notice usually a week or two, its three hour drive at work too so I'm use to planning ahead) and I can get a helping hand when I'm there then I'm a happy guy.

If you are looking for a place to learn and put some of your knowledge to work let me know and ask lots of questions, this is a process for everyone and I want it to be clear in everyones mind to avoid problems later

·
Registered
200 Posts
quoted from OP: "As you can see I'm pretty easy going..."

OK. I can't resist saying, because this area of VA is beautiful an I read all of your posts here. You are not easy going. You have more rules than any HOA in all of Atlanta. I was waiting to read what I could or could not cook for dinner on Wednesday nights....Good luck filling this position.

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Somebody asked me to post this, its old but might help.

Natural Beauty Farm Mission Statement
Borrowed from “The Good Life Center” Harborside, ME
(August 1996, revised July 2002)

The mission of The Farm Center is to perpetuate, teach, inspire and educate practitioners of simple, frugal and purposeful living. Building on the nearly lost ideas and principals of our grandparents, The Farm Center encourages and supports individual and collective efforts to live sustainably into the future. Guided by the principles of kindness, respect and compassion in relationships with natural and human communities, The Farm Center promotes active participation in the advancement of social justice, creative integration of the life of the mind, body and spirit, and deliberate choice in living responsibly and harmoniously in an increasingly complicated world.

The Farm Center will:

1) Conserve and save a former self-sustaining family farm from development, using the example of conscientious and thoughtful living in harmony with nature;
2) Work towards bringing the farm back to self-sufficiency
3) Live in harmony with the natural elements as much as possible while acting as a teaching facility for all that want to learn the simple ways.
4) Share the philosophy underlying the "good life" practices at Natural Beauty Farm to encourage a diverse audience to apply this philosophy in their own distinct environments and life circumstances;
5) Offer residential and visiting fellowships, stewardships, and educational programs on homesteading and sustainable living at Natural Beauty Farm and other homesteads;
6) Provide a safe, healthy place to work and raise the next generation
7) Serve as a resource and network for scholars, homesteaders, gardeners, social and political activists, and students of simple and sustainable living;
8) Practice right livelihood and follow simple living principles, in all pursuits, so that The Farm Center itself models what it seeks to promote.
9) Social Sustainability: practicing nonviolence, cooperation, interdependence, trust, mutual respect, diversity, self-care and caring about each other.
10) Work on caring for the natural systems vital to our spiritual and physical health.

Some ways we will minimize our environmental impact are:
• Solar heating and hot water options
• Organic gardens, native trees and shrubs
• Stream bank plant preservation
• Wetland creation for added habitat and storm water management.
• Bicycle storage with weather protection
• Green building materials: tin roofs, low E windows, cellulose insulation, etc.
• Rainwater catchment for irrigation
• Composting and recycling centers

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Natural Beauty Farm

"The boss here is nature, the animals set our alarm clock. The best movies are in the clouds and lightning just before the storm, and you eat when you're hungry."

Glad to see your interest in our work. Everyone living here has an equal say in what goes on in our small community. The belief that everyone holds a piece of the truth is very important to the group and it's belief in balancing ideas and perspectives for the best outcome. We believe that decisions made as part of a shared process are better decisions. The main framework is trust and honesty among members, a caring for each other and mother earth, and an understanding of how we fit in and our role in the community outside our farm. We don't use illegal drugs, whine about our situation, or break any of the outside communities laws. There are no gurus, no madmen, nobody stands over you with a gun while you work, you can even eat a store bought, fat laden, chemical enriched, totally artificial piece of junk food in front of the whole board of trustees without a problem. (As long as you brought enough to share with those that partake of such stuff.) We buy or grow mostly organic whole foods and bio-regional, seasonal produce. We shop mainly at the local farmers' market, our natural foods co-op, locally owned and operated businesses, and environmentally and socially responsible businesses. We recycle, compost, and use salvaged and local materials as much as possible.

On a daily basis, we all work pretty hard doing what needs to be done around here, from renovations and repairs to gardening and landscaping to cooking and cleaning. We welcome hard-working, pioneering souls who are eager to use their talents to help us with the challenging, exciting, and rewarding work of building something for all to enjoy. The average hours put into the farm per month is 50 per person, with more hours in the spring and summer and slacking off fall and winter as the farm gets tucked into natures blanket of cold sleep. Everyone puts in several hours a week on the farm, even if they work off it. This work is what we all enjoy the most and is the reason for bonding together. If you are afraid of the work because you don't know how to do something, but are willing to learn, we'll get through it together. If you afraid of work period. Don't apply. (You'll make everyone happier, including yourself.)

If you end up moving close to us, we will help you in every way possible from gathering discounted or free material to the construction and raising. We love the unusual house that takes care of and helps our mother earth and the outrageous ideas that stretch the imagination. We have temporary housing in the old farmhouse for visitors. It's crowded though.

The mountains surround us, and we have rivers close by. We are located four miles from a small town that gets lots of hikers, bicyclists and horseback riders. The next town is 11 miles away; it is a big historic town with a hospital and all the needs of a big town with lots of tourists. Everyone from older people bused in for a live theater show, to the families with kids on vacation. If you want to work in a big city, there are four, anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour away. We operate a small family style restaurant in our little town of 1000. We are in the process of buying another commercial piece of property that we will either rent out for extra income or use to start something ourselves, either way we hope it brings us closer to self sufficiency. We have electricity from the grid but are looking at alternatives, water from a great spring that flows out of our mountain and into a spring house before coming into the house or going to the animals. Our heat comes from the wood we burn, first in chopping, then from the fire in the stove. A backup of propane keeps pipes from freezing if the stoves ever go out.

We are looking for people who have a pioneering spirit (we are a loosely formed community with lots of work ahead), don't mind somewhat rough accommodations (the farmhouse needs a lot of repairs and renovations), are hard-working self-starters, and are committed to working towards social and environmental sustainability. We welcome everyone who is willing to enter into a group where the goal is no negativity or hostility towards our fellow man.

If you would be interested in visiting with us, please write and tell us a little about yourself.

We also request that you write to:
FRIENDS OF PEACE PILGRIM
PO Box 2207
Shelton, CT 06484
Tel. (203) 926-1581
Ask for a booklet entitled "Steps to Inner Peace", it is free for the asking.
They also have a website: http://www.peacepilgrim.com/

Although we are not a religious community, (we don't hold anyone to a particular religion, and feel that everyone has a right to their faith and beliefs.) Rather, we support each other in following our own individual spiritual paths. We feel that her thoughts on peace and the ways in obtaining it are valid. It helps us clarify our purpose and gives you a better understanding of what we are trying to accomplish.

Thank you for your interest, we hope to be hearing from you again soon.
Best of luck in your searching.

Natural Beauty Farm

Hic Habitat Felicitas
Here lives Happiness

·
Flying Farm Nubians
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like I said its from 12 years ago. Since then alot has been fixed and changed. I just posted it because I was asked about it and figured others might want to see it too.

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
I don't find his "rules" unreasonable in the least. It seems he's just asking for someone who is willing to respect, care for, and act responsibly on the land they will be inhabiting. Sure doesn't seem like too much to ask for. :)

·
Human Being!
670 Posts
If I was in a position to do it I would offer to take care of it for him. His rules are reasonable and the Man sounds like he totally loves this place. You don't just hand a place off to someone elses care without laying ground rules. He obviously wants someone on the same sheet of music he is. It is not a objectionable task for the right person or family.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.