Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An opportunity has presented itself to our family that would involve us moving half way across the country to a small town near Springfield, MO.

It would appear from the real estate sites I have accessed that housing is cheaper than here, which is a good thing since hubby would be taking a significant paycut. But the work would be in ministry, and something he has wanted to do.

The move would mean taking the kids away from almost daily contact with my folks - something that would be hard for them all. We would be almost 1/2 way between both sets of grandparents. (Hubby's folks live in upstate NY)

Obviously this is a MAJOR decision to make, and am I looking for information about the area.

If you live there/or have lived there what do you like best about it? What do you like the least? Are there a lot of bugs, posionous snakes etc. What is the weather like? Are there lots of tornados, and other weahter related hazards?

TIA for your input about the area!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,805 Posts
The first thing people will tell is there are ticks and chiggers. This is true. There are many ticks and chiggers. Some of the ticks carry disease. It's just a fact of life there. I have been treated for Lyme Disease.

Yes, we have snakes. Mainly copperheads.

The countryside is beautiful!! You will have four seasons. The autumn has one of the most impressive leaf color changes I've ever seen. Last winter brought a very bad ice storm, but that was one of those 'every hundred years' things.

Taxes are low. People are friendly. Good summer veggie growing weather. :)

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
We live just outside Springfield as well...
We love it here...other than ticks there are not many bad things to say about it. Just make sure you have some chickens free ranging and they shouldn't even be a problem.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Ok what small town? Some you can not tell when you leave them and enter Springfield.

Lots of nice in the area.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The town is Marshfield - about 17 miles northeast of Springfield. Trying to find info on state and local taxes as well.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Marshfield is a nice little community with a decent school district. My company handles their security equipment. There should be quite a bit of land on the market for reasonable prices. As far as snakes bugs and the like yeah we got em but off repels the bugs and the snakes are not that bad. I live towards Branson from Springfield and wouldn't live anywhere else and i have been a lot of places before moving here.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Wags said:
The town is Marshfield - about 17 miles northeast of Springfield. Trying to find info on state and local taxes as well.
Ok its on Interstate,closer to Lebanon than Springfield.But like I say close to Interstate so its an easy drive to either.

If I remember they are trying to get New Regulations and County Zoning.Because of the fast growth.

Still a nice area.

big rockpile

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
I live south of Springfield about 30 miles. Have been to Marshfield, many, many, MANY times.

It's a very nice little town. Missouri is very "conservative" when it comes to politics and religion. Marshfield is close enough to Springfield to be a little less rurally minded but still far enough out so as to not be terribly urban, if that makes any sense.

Folks in these parts are most generally friendly and usually kind and generous. You get mostly what you give and I'm sure if you are open to making new friends that you won't have much difficulty fitting in.

donsgal

·
-Melissa
980 Posts
I can't help but chuckle to myself as the folks from this area have left out the best part! (insert sarcasm)

It’s been 3* short of hell here lately!! (it's hot) the grass is starting to die from lack of rain (we were flooding earlier this spring) and I'm seriously thinking of investing in camels as we're soon going to be a desert... wait, doesn’t it get really cold at night in the desert? Well, that's not happened here yet. lol

-Melissa
bolivar, mo (north of springfield)

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
collegeboundgal said:
I can't help but chuckle to myself as the folks from this area have left out the best part! (insert sarcasm)

It’s been 3* short of hell here lately!! (it's hot) the grass is starting to die from lack of rain (we were flooding earlier this spring) and I'm seriously thinking of investing in camels as we're soon going to be a desert... wait, doesn’t it get really cold at night in the desert? Well, that's not happened here yet. lol

-Melissa
bolivar, mo (north of springfield)
LOL - weeeelllllllllll yeah what you said.

It's usually like this in July and August though. We'll have a break about September 12 when it will begin to rain for the rest of the month. Then there is OCTOBER - Hallelujah! October is the finest, most beautiful month of the year in Missouri.

But yeah, it's really, really REALLY miserable right now. Like 95 degrees and 90 percent humidity. Not fit for man 'ner beast.

donsgal

·
AMDG
715 Posts
there are copperheads and cottonmouths for pitvipers the copperheads seem more prevalent to me. There are chiggers and ticks and fleas and cicadas and tons of fireflies.

there is some of the most beautiful scenery, similar to NY in many ways.
rolling hills with a tapestry of farmland dotting the countryside.

There are occasional tornadoes

The people in that part of Missouri have a true friendliness to them. I have been places where the people were all smiles and seemingly welcoming but it was all a surface kind of sweetness, there is a genuine down home kindness in SW MO

eta
you might enjoy this website
http://www.bakerealty.com/properties.htm

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
collegeboundgal - You weren't here last summer where you :) It's been on average 10 degrees cooler then last summer at this time.

I'm not actually in Missouri - we're 10 miles south of the Missouri stateline. But I will agree with all the good things, okay and the bad things that have been said about the area. If you are fearful of snakes it might help you to know that I've lived here 10 years and I've yet to see a copperhead...or any poisonious snake.

Hugs,
Marlene

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't mind snakes/bugs, just like to know about them before hand. The humidity is my biggest worry. That is something I'm definately not used to. I complain if it gets over 40% here. :)

·
-Melissa
980 Posts
MarleneS said:
collegeboundgal - You weren't here last summer where you :) It's been on average 10 degrees cooler then last summer at this time.

<sigh> I've had to endure the oppressive Missouri heat for the last 23-24 years. It just that every year during winter I forget how hot I was during the last summer. you can always put another layer of clothes on in the winter but there's only so necked you should go in the summer :help: . I hear Alaska is nice this time of year. lol (I was born their actually :rolleyes: then dad's air force moved us to Texas before coming back home to Missouri. lol)

-Melissa

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All the talk of heat and humidty is a bit off putting! Cause you are right - there is only so much nekked you can get.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live just south of Marshfield, I've lived here my whole life.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask them.

Marshfield is a great place to live in my opinion, we're far enough away from Springfield that we don't have the big city rush, but close enough to drive there for anything you need :)

On the taxes, we have 70 acres, I believe our property taxes last year were around $658.00

But, they are supposed to be raising that some next year. Though I doubt it will be by much, it never is :)

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
I use Marshfield as my supply town too. Coming from the west, I have to warn you...they do NOT have good coffee here. I drive all the way to Ava for org. whole bean coffee, which is one thing that gets to me. No good healthfood stores or REAL coffeehouses (yet).

Like someone else said, the people here are mostly conservative politically and religion-wise. There are MANY different churches. Everyone envites you to their church.

What I like the best about being here is the wildlife. The birds, turtles, lizards, deer, etc. It is truly a unique ecosystem. And the oak forests are just beautiful.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We import our coffee from Costa Rica via my sister. :) We are pretty conservative ourselves, so we shouldn't have any problems fitting in with most folks in that regard. The scenery that I've seen (Century21 has a cool video tour of the area) does remind me of the finger lakes region in NY - which is where hubby is org. from.

How is water in the area? Any problems with wells or lack of water?

Any overly stringent rules about homeschooling?

Oh and does anyone know if there is breed specific legislation (anti-pitbull) in the county/state?

btw - sure do appreciate all the responses, they are doing a lot to relieve hubby's mind .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts