SW Colorado or N Arizona homesteaders??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sweetgal, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Sweetgal

Sweetgal Well-Known Member

Montana but traveling full time in travel trailer
    Just joined this forum and am finding it overwhelming but wonderful.
    I live in Texas right now but want desperately to move out of here soon as in maybe this spring if I can come up with enough money to get a rental place and pay for the deposits. I am looking at SW Colorado or N Arizona as my parents live in Wickenburg, AZ and I would like to be near them but not live in the desert (what can I say, my heart is in the mountains). I'd like to hear from anyone in that area of the country so maybe I could get an insider's view of it. I'd love to live in Montana but right now being closer to my parents is more of a priority for me. Also I have a small (4lb) dog so have to find a dog friendly place to rent which I know can be a challange. I also would like to know if anyone knows of any job networking groups in these areas as I will need to get a job asap because I'm divorced and am my only means of support. Don't have kids and don't get spousal support. I would eventually like to buy some property and homestead but know it's wise to rent someplace and live there for a bit to see if it's right for me before I buy.
    Thank you for reading this and I'd be glad to answer any questions.
    God bless you all,
    Sweetgal or you can call me Sweets

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We live in southeast AZ near Benson. There are few jobs but property is cheap. There are always odd jobs you can do to make money. My neighbor needs someone to feed animals from time to time. Carla Emery lives east of us and needs someone to caretake her property when they are on book tours. You can check with SAS Realty in Safford. Shirley is a neighbor and a realtor. She might have other ideas for you and might know of jobs or caretaker places for rent. Good luck.

3. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

We are here in Maricopa, AZ about 60 miles south of Phoenix. Tis a good place to be in the wintertime. Also have a place in northern AZ outside of Seligman in Bridge Canyon. Mountain country, about 5800' elevation. Good place to be in the summertime. My snowbird trip between the two is a 4-5 hour drive. Sad to say but the best job markets are in or near the cities. Phoenix or Tucson. The smaller places are always tougher but not always impossible.

4. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We lived north of Flagstaff about 10 years ago. It is a wonderful town. Great restaurants, bookstores, lots to do, great medical services. Northern Arizona University is right there in town. It tends to be a bit liberal for my taste, but we really liked it. It would be a fun place to be single. I don't know what you do, but there are several large employers in town. You definitely take a hit salary-wise, but it is worth it to live there. I love the older neighborhood north of the train tracks. North Beaver st., etc.
    Prescott (pronounced presskit) south of Flagstaff, is also another really pretty town. It is growing by leaps and bounds. Lots of Californians mving in. It has a beautiful town square, and historic home district.
    Sedona would be fun, but prices are high. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth. We spent a summer there years ago during a "harmonic convergence" and the new agers were pretty entertaining.
    Good Luck!

5. Sweetgal

Thanks for the info but I was more hoping to be in Northern AZ. I might consider South Az if nothing in the north pans out.
    God bless,
    Sweetgal

6. Sweetgal

Thanks for the info Lisa. I don't know about the liberals but I am single, actually divorced so it might be worth a look. I suppose if I can deal with the crazy people in Dallas I can deal with a bunch of liberals...lol.
    I do data entry so I prolly could find a job there, provided there are openings.
    I have looked into Prescott but it seems too high brow for my tastes. I may take another look but if the Californians are moving in there I would rather avoid it (no offense to Californians but when they move in groups into an area the prices go up and so does the crime because of the large influx of new people with money).
    I agree that Sedona is beautiful but I would laugh myself silly watching the new agers. LOL. Oh well guess I'm too much of a down home country gal to be into all that new age stuff and besides I'm a saved Christian so do go in for that stuff anyway.
    Well, thanks for the info. May I ask why you moved to Idaho from AZ?
    Sweetgal

7. Sweetgal

Thanks for the reply. I never heard of Seligman, where in AZ is that?
    Do you homestead where you are?
    God bless,
    Sweetgal

8. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Sweetgal,
    We made our first homesteading attempt on the other side of the peaks from Flagstaff. I got pregnant with out second child, it started snowing in September (we were at about 8000 ft elevation), we were unprepared for how remote it was and how rough in the winter. We ended up leaving and moved to a really wonderful small town in the far west valley (of the sun) called Litchfield Park. Kids walked to school, tons of trees, beautiful resort in the town center. We lived there for 7 years and LOVED it, but we really wanted to try again at homesteading. And we missed water, seasons, and green mountains. My husband came to Sandpoint, ID for business, and we came up here, fell in love with it and couldn't bear to go back. We built our cabin the first summer and sold the house in AZ and this time the homesteading worked! Its been almost 3 years. I guess we learn from our mistakes. Feel free to pm me...I'd love to talk to you.