Homesteading Forum banner

What show (or person) do you like most, Survivorman or Man vs Wild?

• Survivorman

• Man vs Wild

• Alittle bit of both

• I don't watch either of these

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I like Les from Survivorman myself. He does it more realistically and he hasn't drank his own pee....pretty much those reasons :D.

Kat

·
Yuppie Scum
1,432 Posts
I said a little of both. I watch both shows. I think it would be more fun to hang out with Bear Grylls. I also think he'd be more likely to get me killed.

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
Man v Wild guy cheats.

Survivorman is more realistic

·
Plays with yarn
509 Posts
I like Survivorman because he carries his own camera equipment. The Man vs Wild guy cheats and has someone else carry the heavy stuff.

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
I like MvW simply because of the extreme areas. However, I agree with the other folks in that Survivorman is much more realistic and more apt to show you something that could truly help if need be. I'll definitely watch either.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Man v Wild does all kinds of stuff that I can't see the average person doing.

Let's scale this rock face, lets climb this tall tree, lets crawl along this rope to the other side of the gorge.

Yea right!

I do watch both but prefer Survivorman.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
One of them, I forget which one, does his own filming, and the other one has a cameraman with him.

To me, the guy with the cameraman is really just faking it, because, the cameraman ain't gonna die or let him die.

I picture this guy, with nothing, trying to "survive" by eating grubs while the cameraman is cooking steak on his backpack hibachi grill.

The other show might be more legit, if he has to do his own filming and is truly left in some wilderness and delivers the film when he emerges.

The guy with the cameraman is just like those people on the show, "Survivor". I quit watching that show the first season. For one thing, there was always a fat nude guy, and fat nude guys ain't my thing.

The other reason I quit watching was because as soon as someone fell into a campfire and got badly burned, they flew him out on a chopper. Sheesh! They should have let him find some aloe and "Survive".

Nah, those shows are are all hype...not for me...

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
Boleyz said:
The guy with the cameraman is just like those people on the show, "Survivor". I quit watching that show the first season. For one thing, there was always a fat nude guy, and fat nude guys ain't my thing.

The other reason I quit watching was because as soon as someone fell into a campfire and got badly burned, they flew him out on a chopper. Sheesh! They should have let him find some aloe and "Survive".
Ha! That's like my dh. He's all like, "That's not Surviving. Dump them in the middle of no where with no food or supplies, then have some big game hunters come in and hunt them! Now that's surviving."

·
Registered
68 Posts
Survivor man has more scenarios that are real life but I think he looks stupid running back and forth to get his camera's all the time. DH and I watch
M vs. W just to see if he gets eaten by something.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
We watch both, one to learn what to do and one to learn what not to do.
I wonder who will carry my camera when I et in that situation. Maybe my dog.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
no cable tv, we watch Netflix and I don't think they have either?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Survivorman, hands down, Les Stroud is the real thing. Bear lost me when he started jumping cliffs he didn't have to and drinking elephant poop.

Season 2 starts Aug. 15th

·
Registered
485 Posts
Les Stroud is my hero :dance:

He has to climb BACK UP the mountian to get the camera.

Shelly

·
crone
271 Posts
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Les. The other guy, Bear, I saw on Letterman's show. He's a former Navy Seal or something and he doesn't even carry his own gear. I relate to Les a lot more, he does hafta climb back up that mountain to retrieve his camera, and he complains when it rains.... my kinda guy!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Les is more for me.

I saw Bear eat some big long worms from a rotten chamois carcass in the Alps. I read later that those aren't native worms there, they are raised in a lab and are the same kind used on Fear Factor for eating.

Then the time Bear found a rope over a gorge, he hopped on and started over. How does he know how long it had been there, if it was even tied to something strong on the other side, etc? It's all too fake. He parachutes in everywhere, but there is always a camera filming his landing. He clings to a sheer cliff face, and there is a guy five feet away holding a camera on him.

Poor ol Les can just sit and look miserable some times, like real life situations make everybody do.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I like Les Stroud. He'll do things that normal people would be able to do, and sometimes he'll do things he knows are wrong to show you why not to do them--like when he went into the jungle in Costa Rica. He said--in a real survival situation this would be pretty stupid but we're gonna do it because if we don't there's no show. Then went on to prove how miserably difficult it was and went back to surviving on the shore.

Also he admits when he's defeated--like his arctic plane crash scenario--he called in to be rescued because he couldn't make his rendezvous, and said, 'look, if this had been real, I'd be dead'.

He has a level of integrity that Bear lacks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts