Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH's company just did another layoff, and he's still employed. His department let both of their contractors go, and luckily one of their guys left last month, so all they have to do is not replace him rather than get rid of someone else.

This isn't really prep-related, I suppose, but what is, is that the company is probably going to do "voluntary pay cuts" come spring if orders aren't up and the economy isn't better. I'm definitely going to be doing everything I can think of to keep the heating bills down, as well as getting everyone used to a simpler diet (and me used to more time-consuming meal preparations) and getting my credit cards paid down or off. And thank goodness I started buying preps some months ago!

G

·
It's about survival isn't it? That makes is proper to post it here.

Surviving job cuts is a big survival issue for a lot of people now.

.....Alan.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Glad DH is still employed. Prepping for personal economic disaster is probably, IMHO, one of THE most important preps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am glad your hubby made it through a round, PTL!!
I survived a round back in July They cut our whole shift! That's a BAD feeling coming in to work at 6:00 am and seeing the Human Resource Mgr. walking in ahead of you! Things are still really slow and the sales mgr said in a meeting last week that there are no major orders in site for the forseeable future...scary stuff. Just have to trust in God.. he gave me the job to start with. He does provide!

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Ok, so here's my advice on surviving a layoff:

You haven't survived. Now those who "didn't survive" have a headstart on the local job market. Plus, usually the first couple of rounds of layoffs (while they may come as a surprise) have better severance packages. By the time they hit the third or fourth layoff round, there's not much left in the kitty.

Use this time wisely. Hubby needs to be looking for a new job before he has to, and it's easier to find a new job when you still have your old one.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
And this is a topic totally suitable for this forum.

It's one of the less flashy surviving situations. (from someone who was laid off and knows the feeling when the rumors of the HR guys going through the plant/office).

Angie

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
I'm so happy for you!!!! with us facing a job decline (no unemployment cause he's self employed)...I will rejoice with anyone that hangs on. :)

I heard on our local news that we should all be prepared for lay-offs. why? the obvious...nobody knows what the future holds. so....keep prepping everyone.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
hope all of us keep our jobs.my company is changeing its operations and we are not sure what it will mean for us.we could have less work or more work.it is so slow now it is scary.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I know someone who worked at Compaq at the time they bought Digital Equip Corp (DEC). Since Compaq bought DEC, you'd think that the layoffs of the combined companies would hit DEC harder. However, in fact, there were more layoffs among the Compaq people. Why? DEC had been going thru several rounds of layoffs over several years. The people that had survived that had gotten very good at powerpoint slides justifying their existance. The compaq people had been busy doing their daily work at a mostly growing company, not putting together slides. Layoffs are a political process at some level.

So, in addition to looking for a new job as suggested by others above, you might consider keeping a mental note of all the ways you keep the company running, and what happens if they lay you off. You might think of whether the management above you has much political power. Sometimes a manager with more political power can keep more of his people during layoffs.

--sgl

·
Super Moderator
16,907 Posts
We will be looking at possible layoffs next summer. I don't think that DH wants to change his spending habits, though.

I will talk to him next week: this weekend he has a short trip planned. We do need to plan ahead a little, and I don't think he WANTS to!

I am, by the way, relieved to have until next summer. I have been working HARD on the debts, but, we still have some.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts