Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this here because of a few reasons... if this breaks any rules, Please let me know!

#1 Supply is very limited
#2 Some of these seeds are from 1976, although I tested some of the oldest seeds, some may not come up.. They have been frozen for almost 40 years....
#3 These are true survival seeds, My family has passed some of these down for over 100 years..
#4 The names are anything from "6 week beans" to "Mr Smith's pumpkins", I have no clue what some of these are.. but most I do know... Some seeds are not marked, so I will be guessing as to what they are, but these will be added as extras..

My rules are this..
In order to spread these around, The quantities of seed you receive may be small (5-20 seeds).. Please understand everyone might not get their first choice of type..

IF the seeds come up and you get seeds out of what's planted, you have 2 choices... Send me double the amount of seeds I sent or send me AND someone else on the list the exact amount I sent you along with how long from planting until harvest and anything else noteworthy..

To request a packet of seeds, post with 2 (or more) choices such as "pumpkin" "bean" or so on... If it's available, I'll send you a personal message on where to send them to... I'll try to go through these tonight and update some of the types I have.. I know I have squash, pumpkin, 6 weeks beans, and a type of purple eyed pea.. there are many more that I haven't gotten to....

Please remember, These are seeds that grow well here in Ky, are proven family feeders, and I really wish to preserve these for future families... Some may be the only seeds on earth exactly like these.. so BABY these little seedlings like they are gold!

If you wish to offer seeds please feel free to..

What I have so far..

"Old time Bessie Pumpkins"
"Squash" (More than likely winter type because of storage)
"Della's Butternut Squash"
"Shelly White bean"
"6 week Beans"
"Cornfield Beans"
"Purple Eye Peas"

·
Registered
637 Posts
I would be honored to try some. We are in Zone 5, with about a 100 day season (maybe a little longer - I can grow nice watermelon, but they ripen in about September). I'll let you pick - or you can leave me to last. If you'd like, I have a LOT of Crenshaw melon seeds I've harvested this year - I'd be happy to send you some.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I would like to try the peas and beans. I'm in zone 5 also. I will share the saved seeds. Back with you or whatever.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Will you send to Canada?

If so
"Squash" (More than likely winter type because of storage)
and
"6 week Beans"
please.

Not sure on zone, as it seems to keep changing...guesstamation is 4B..?

Gladly return to you or others with info.. :)

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
That's a wonderful offer. I'd like to try pumpkin and beans. We have a nice long growing season here. From the middle of April till the end of October.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm interested in trying to grow out some of these seeds. "Old Time Bessie Pumpkins" and "Shelly White Beans" sound interesting. I'm in the process of organizing the seeds from this years harvest, so I should have some to trade you.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Thanks for the offer - I'd love to try Old Time Bessie Pumpkin and 6 Week Beans. I have tons of seed to share. Would you like me to send you some?

We did a seed train on the Gardening forum for several years, but no one picked it up after I retired as conductor. Might be fun to do something similar her on S&EP, using only seeds collected from our own gardens, that we know grow true. Anyone interested?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. I will have to go through Ms Connies seeds and see if there is any older open pollenated seeds and if they are any good.
BlueRose, if you'd like some of these, just send me a pm with your choices and name and address...

Everyone else should have a pm requesting the info...

I would love to see these seeds in a seed train but at the moment, I don't think there is enough genetic diversity or the quantity do to so..

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
I didn't necessarily mean your seeds, KY, as I understand they're limited, but if there is any interest in a seed train just for S&EP members, I'd be willing to get it organized and start it out. If there is interest, I'll start a new thread - I feel like I'm kind of hijacking your kind offer on this thread. :eek:

Looking forward to next Spring so I can try your seeds! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts