Survey

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gercarson, May 20, 2006.

1. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

So I can be "better" prepared.
    I've never actually paid for a survey without it being part of closing costs or embedded some way in the cost of buying a property. Does anyone have a "ballpark" idea of what it might cost to have an acre surveyed - I'm in the Florida Panhandle.
    Thanks

2. heather

heather Well-Known Member

The easiest way to find out is start making phone calls.
    I could tell you what it cost here, but that won't help you in FL.
    Ask around at the coffee shop & post office & see who does surveys or simply look in the yellow pages. By the time you call 5 companies, you'll have a ballpark idea -

3. babygoats!

babygoats! Well-Known Member

I worked for a surveyor here in Minnesota for a number of years. You should be able to get an estimate of the cost before they do any work. The cost will depend on if the property has been surveyed before, what's been surveyed around it, or if it's a piece that's going to be split from another parcel. You might want to see if the property has been surveyed before. The county surveyor should have some information about that. I'd start there.

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Like the others state, it can depend on a lot of things.

It it were a simple lot with surveys on all four sides, it would probably run about $250. If the property has never been surveyed, it's in the boonies and there isn't anything to go by, it could cost $1,500. I am told surveys in some areas (California), can cost upwards of $2,500.

There are an awful lot of variables.

donsgal