Survey Cost

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Scott in Florida Panhandl, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Scott in Florida Panhandl

Scott in Florida Panhandl Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any idea what it may cost to have a survey of 5.3 acres and a house updated. The original survey is from 2001 and I would like to know that everything is correct before buying this property.

2. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

I don't know about FL, but we had our property re-surveyed last month for our well/septic construction application. The survey itself cost $500 (we used the firm that had surveyed it originally in 1999). The engineering for the septic was $1500. Also, just as a bit of advice, because of the building boom going on in our area, it took a while to get the survey done. I called the surveyor the first of May and we didn't get the completed plat and engineering until the first of August. (Got our construction permit last week----Yippee! :dance: )

3. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Why are you paying for a survey???

Make your contract contingent upon the 2001 survey being correct. Then you DON"T have to pay! The sellers have to figure out how to verify it was correct and give you WRITTEN doccumentation of it being correct - before you close on the property. Do NOT have the same surveyor used......

If the survey was done by a reputable surveyor, there should be a survey map and you can ask for that in your contract. I don't think he/she will ruin his/her reputation, or want to be sued, by having errors.

If you get title insurance, I think that will cover boundaries, but check.

Never pay for anything - figure out how to have the seller fix/pay for things in question. You are out money if you pay and for some reason the sale does not close....... Or if they won't - drop the sale price. It's all negociable.

4. Karenrbw

Karenrbw Well-Known Member Supporter

We had our 5 acres surveyed in 2001. It was cut out of a larger piece of property and had to be surveyed. It cost about $750 to get everything done. I know there can be a lot of variation between prices of services over the country but that it what it cost us in Missouri.

5. desertdreamer

desertdreamer Well-Known Member

6. terrythetaod

terrythetaod Well-Known Member

I live in central Florida, and two years ago we paid around $500 for a survey of 5 acres.

(Although I think we should have received a discount considering they left some of their survey equipment in the middle of the road and we called them to let them know!)

7. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

I have 7.5 acres in southern VA and was quoted $1400 for survey last month. Yikes!

8. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

Our Property Was Surveyed In 2001 To Settle The Estate. Earlier This Year We Cut 20 Acres Out Of A 41 Acres Parcel To Sell. Survey For The 20 Acres Was $1000.00. The Buyers Knew Of A Surveyor That We Accepted, Had To Wait About Two Months. The Original Surveyor Was Not Available For About 4 Months Would Have Charged More.