surprised in the garden

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by perennial, Aug 8, 2006.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Just a reminder -

I was weeding the section of my garden with pumpkins, watermelons and cantelope and as i was almost finished i came across a 2" black widow spider - i didn't scream, but smushed it promptly so it wouldn't get me some other time.

I didn't realize that they can live on the underside of plants like pumpkins leaves, etc.

I was glad i was wearing heavy gloves. I glad i now know that they can live there also.

2. mamakatinmd

mamakatinmd Well-Known Member

At our Maryland home I was cleaning the garage and found one in a box of stuff. I was really surprised . I didn't realize they were in this area. We smashed it also. Very glad you weren't bitten!

3. perennial

I knew they were in this area, but thought of them as being in old barns or such, not in my garden - i guess even a spider needs some shade

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

When I was living in S Carolina in the military, I used to kill ten or twelve on my front steps at the front door every week. I never got bit but I must have have killed a thousand while I was there. They liked lawn mowers and garden tools too. I'd find em on my motorcycle and bushes also. What bothered me most down there were the roaches, fire ants, fleas and ticks. The widows were easy to catch and kill. Killed a few moccasins and one very large eastern diamondback too. Feel bad about the rattler but hate the cottonmouths.

5. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

We have now found 3 Recluse spiders at my place. 2 in the barn and one in the attached garage. I'm not really too happy about this...

6. PinkBat

PinkBat Well-Known Member

We found a brown recluse in our silverware drawer...yikes....we almost grabbed the thing when getting forks out.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We find them all the time in the garage and on the porches, but this year was the first time I found them in the garden. Mine were in the bush beans and I wasn't wearing gloves, but no problem. I just squished them with my shoe.

8. Yldrosie

Yldrosie Well-Known Member

In Ariz., the trantulas migrate. I remember one time, I walked out on the carport, and there must have been 100 of them out there. Some were almost as big as dinner plates. One huge one got in my dog's water bowl. The expression on his face when he went to get a drink was priceless! They look terrifying, but are basically harmless.
    When driving down the road, you could hear the pops as you ran over them. Couldn't avoid them all, too many.

9. triana1326

triana1326 Dances in moonlight

My mom lived out there back in the 70s. She was driving down a really straight stretch with a friend when they came up on one of those big trantulas. They ran it over, backed up, and ran over it again. Did that a few times then started to pull back onto the road. Mom looked back to check for oncoming traffic and there was a state trooper sitting behind them, watching them and laughing...Gave her a verbal warning about driving "recklessly" but couldn't keep a straight face the entire time he was talking to them...

10. perennial

I think i would definitely scream if i saw a tarantula - they are beastly! I can't even look at those on the tv.

Since we moved into our new home 4 months ago, we will be buying some wood this fall for the woodstove and cutting some dead stuff on our land.
    Are there any guidelines so we can have less black widows in and around the wood pile and god forbid snakes. Can you tell i'm new to the country! I know
    we have king snakes here - my son saw one about 3 feet long a couple of weeks ago. I'm not expecting to have a "sterile" wood pile, but if there are precautions i can take when first setting it up that would be helpful, i'd appreciate any advice.

ps - when i do see my first snake, you might hear me yelling all the way to where you are - tarantulas - i might just faint on the spot!

How do yo all keep spiders out of the basement - our's is new so if there is something i can do to prevent this it would be great.

11. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

I've kept a boat in a marina for a number of years and spiders are always a problem.

The cure that seems to works best is to set out the cheap unscented dryer sheets. When we leave the boat on Sunday afternoon we set out the dryer sheets. It's not 100% perfect but dang near so. For some reason the spiders don't like them.

12. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Found one in my garden this year to.As i walked in to check my cantaloupe i decided to kick off my shoes so i wouldn't hurt the vines any more than necessary when stepping on them.Came up on two nice cantaloupe and as i parted the leaves there she sat between the two.To think had they been ripe i might have grabbed her.
    Went back to the shed and got out a pare of needle nose pliers to catch her with as it was the only thing i could think of to get her out from between them and the foliage.
    Smashed her little butt good.
    After hearing how painful their bite is I'm really scared of them.

13. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

They get in my pepper plants. I'll find them in between the plants and sometimes,in amongst the leaves. I hate that,because I'm scared to death of spiders. I'm trying to over come the fear,but suddenly finding one in the plants is creepy.
    I've found recluse spiders all over. The last one was in the bathtub.

I would probably fall over dead if I looked outside and saw tarantulas everywhere!

14. Traci Ann

Traci Ann Domestic Engineer

I remember hearing the trantula pop when we lived in CA. My children thought it was the funniest thing.

No black widows here but I can easily say we have a recluse infestation. Fighting but feeling as if I am on the end not winning.

15. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Smart to always wear gloves when handling firewood. Don't stick your hands into places that you can't see and teach your kids this,too....almost had a close encounter with huge black snake in one of my chicken nest boxes!!!!! A friends' four year old stuck her hand under porch steps and got bitten by copperhead. I always wear gloves 'cause I'm so deathly allergic to PI and you don't always know you are around the stuff. Buy doz. cotton gloves and always got clean ones to put on. Be sure and check stored clothing carefully,turn inside out before wearing or it may harbor recluse spiders...also, they will get into dresser drawers so watch out. And this is everywhere; not just in the country. I stomp my feet alot in the garden....snakes sensitive to vibration and I want them to know I"m coming...have killed 5 copperheads here this summer....first year since we moved here that they have been in the yard. They get to live anywhere but my mowed yard and garden...gotta draw the line there. DEE

16. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Black Widows have a very messy web. Their babies float to different locations on sorta' like a parachute they make.

In Phoenix I used to go out at night with a flash light & a fly swatter to kill them. Works great - they don't run away.

I'm now finding tarantulas in with my chickens & othe places in northeast AZ. Must be migratory season as I'm seeing them around more.

I'd rather put up with them than lots of other creepy crawlies :p

17. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Gotta watch those snakes in the garden this time of year too.

18. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL, well then Perennial, you should be very happy that you are not sitting here with me, for Johnnie keeps his pet terrantula cage on the file cabinant next to the computer desk! I can see Terror from here.

Johnnie and Bailey found two black widows just tonight outside under some plastic step aerobic steps. They where cleaning out from the tall grass so they could mow, and found them. I have never seen one up close and personal! I felt bad that we had to kill them, they are beautiful, but I won't take chances with the kids. These two where pretty big too.
    God bless you and yours
    Deb

19. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I rarely kill spiders. I actually enjoy them in the garden/house. I guess if it was a black widow i would probably have to move him. Recluses scare me even more, but i haven't seen one yet. I've got what looks like a tarantula(its not), living about 8 ft up in the air outside on the deck in a monster of a web. Every night he's up there. Its funny cause each night he had to keep building his web, cause i would walk into it during the day, now its high enough where i don't hit it. Sometimes i want to pet him...?...because he looks soft.

Now rabbits are another story...

20. perennial

Is there a natural way to prevent them from coming in the cellar - i use mine and i've already killed a few doosey's. I killed a huge black one the other night - don't think it was a widow though.

Is there something i can do to prevent them from coming in. I look pretty crazy running around my cellar with a rubber sledge mallet smushing the spiders i see - i always see them at night when i go down for extra cat food or something....... and yes, i've usually got my jammies on and i must look like a crazy - but i wish all crawlies would just stay out doors. I'm atleast getting better where i don't scream and call hubby - he said i might be on my way to a country girl afterall - especially smushing the blackwidow nonchalantly.

I've only killed a few so far but with fall coming i want to keep the others out.
    My basement is a full basement and well lit and we use it so i do want to keep them out.

If i vaccum them up, will they "get me" when i open the vaccum to close the tab on the bag?

I got through the worst of the tick's at the begining of the season and now they just don't bother me - i've gotten used to grasshoppers so big you can
    hear their wings when you walk near them, i've gotten used to garden bugs and smush them, beetles, etc. etc. - spiders and crawlies their fine outside but not in the house.

Any tips on keeping them out would be appreciated.