Surprise!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by nehimama, Nov 11, 2006.

1. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

An out-of-state visitor brought me a pretty, six-month-old, English Spot doe earlier this month.

Last night's temps were supposed to be at or below freezing, according to the weather forecast. It's my habit to put a flake of hay into each rabbit's cage on really cold nights so they can burrow down into it and stay warm. Only five rabbit cages, so I can afford to do this.

So, this morning, I'm doing AM feeding chores in the bunny barn, and I hear squeaking. I figured my Jack Russell Terrier, Poppy, had caught a mouse. But . . no . . the squeaking was coming from one of the rabbit cages. Coming from the English Spot's cage, in fact!

She'd used her hay to make a bunny nest for six or seven fat, wriggling babies! Well, I couldn't leave them like that. No baby-safe wire on this cage, and the youngsters would have eventually gotten through the wire and fallen. So I gently put "Spotz" into an empty cage, and put her lovely nest of kits into a nestbox I'd packed with hay. Put the nestbox into the cage, then put mommy back in the cage, and left to allow everyone to settle down again.

Checked on them this evening, and all seems to be going well. I hope she'll continue to take care of them.

NeHi Mama

2. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

The best surprise!!

3. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

How nice! I like the look of English Spots. Any idea who Daddy was? What are the chances he's English Spot as well? What luck to have put the hay in for her. Enjoy those babies.

4. nehimama

My friend is fairly certain the daddy is half ES, so these are 3/4 if that is the case. A fine surprise any way you look at it!

NeHi

5. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

6. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

What a super surprise, NeHi. The English Spots are very pretty. I'm just glad your little doe has such good instincts and made the most of her nesting materials.

My two does are marked like English Spots but have a meat rabbit shape. There are always some spotted babies in their litters and you can see the markings almost from birth. Can't wait to hear what your surprise babies look like!

7. nehimama

Bun check this morning, after another very cold night, revealed toasty-warm, well-fed kits. Mama had pulled more fur. GOOD mothering instincts!

NeHi

8. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

good deal!! sounds like you have a keeper.