Surprise Ram!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by frazzlehead, Dec 31, 2006.

1. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

In the summer, I bought two purebred Icleandic ewes (lovely sheep!) and two suffolk / icelandic cross lambs from a lady nearby. I got an amazing deal on the sheep: $50 each (CDN), so I couldn't turn them down! The ram lamb had been wethered ... or so she said. I assumed maybe it had been done with a burdizzo when I noticed that he had a package - it falls off with the elastrator. I shrugged and carried on.

Anyway, I noticed the "wether" paying a lot of attention to the girls earlier this week, and since the vet was coming out to check on my other ram (who is suffering some after effects from the run in with the guardian puppy but should be all right, thankfully) I asked her to have a feel. Sure enough, this 'wether' has his full package and is likely to be fully functional!

This would explain why one of the Icelandic ewes is looking VERY large in the middle. I had thought she couldn't possibly be showing yet, as she was only exposed to a ram after I picked them up in October, so that'd mean no lambs until March or so. As it turns out, she'd been running in the pasture with a sneaky ram lamb who was masquerading as a wether ... who apparently got some work done early!

I had noticed the ewe's belly getting kind of big, but they have so much wool I didn't think much of it. Then I noticed her belly seemed to have 'dropped' the other day ... ummm ... that's what they say happens before lambing! :shrug: Vet confirmed my suspicions when she was here this morning, and says it does look like my ewe is quite pregnant - so we're keeping an eye out now! I hadn't expected any early lambs but I'd be more than happy to have them ... the wether-who-is-a-ram has an absolutely wonderful silky white fleece, so I am quite pleased that he can father some lambs for us!

Wish us luck on our very first, earlier than anticipated, lambing season!

2. MTDeb

MTDeb Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Those little *surprises* are the best. I bet you're going to end up with some wonderful fleeces!!

3. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

Yipes! What a surprise!

Now it makes me want to run out and check the underneath of the wether I got this fall. He definitely had a package when we brought him home, and I made the same assumption you did. He was supposed to have had his little procedure just days before.

4. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Yeah, Momma Sasquatch, go cop a feel!

If the package feels soft and normal ... you better watch out for surprise lambs! :D

I'll let y'all know how it goes! (see, us Canadians can say "y'all" too ... I have Texan relatives!)

5. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

Well he wasn't with the ewes until we put the ram in so we won't have early lambs just in case he wasn't "done". I'll have to check later, got company coming today so they're not getting extra attention. I'm not too, too worried, but worst case scenario we wind up with a couple unexpectedly white lambs with an unregistered daddy.

6. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago we bought two 5 month old wether lambs as weed eaters. One was a Dorset and the other was a Romanov. The Dorset got mean so we got rid of him but the Romanov was fine. Then we got some bottle baby ewe lambs, a Polypay and a Suffolk. We also bought a Katadin ewe from the neighbor. Several months later we sent the ewe over to the neighbor's place to be bred by their nice Suffolk ram. Three months later she lambs! Turns out she just went to visit because Mr. Romanov wether still had enough punch in his short pouch to do the trick! I immediatly caught up the two other ewe lambs and tumped 'em over. Sure enough, both were bagging up. The Polypay had her first set of twins on Easter morning that year. The Suffolk lambed twins a few weeks later. That was the start of our flock.

The Polypay ewe is still with me, BTW. She has given me 17 lambs through the years. We lost the Suffolk in October, 2005. She had given us 12 lambs in the 7 years we had her. I have daughters from that first breeding still on the place today. There are quite a few grandaughters and great grandaughters, too.

We used that Romanov wether/ram for several years. He never got mean and never charged or butted. Sometimes I wish I had never sold him.