Surprise Offer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SweetSarah, Jul 29, 2006.

1. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

My husband just opened a handwritten letter with no return address that basically said:
    "Dear Mr. Ourlastname,
    My name is ThisGuys Name. I would like to buy your house at 123 Your Address Street. Please call me at ###-####.
    Thank you,
    THisguys Name"

Sounds pretty good considering we are going to be selling soon since it is only a two bedroom and baby number 3 is in the oven.

Just seems kinda fishy. Anyone ever have an experience like this?
    Any advice?

Oh yeah, I already googled him and got nothing and he isn't in the phone book.

Thanks!
    (Names, address and phone numbers have been changed to protect privacy:))

2. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Some are legitimate, most aren't. Many will want you to refinance or take a second mtg then get you to give them the money or some other crazy thing. Best is the tried & true through a realtor.

3. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

We received several inquires like this, all of them were offering pennies on the dollar. When we finally decided to sell, we got more than twice the highest "offer".

Wouldn't hurt to give him a call and see what he is offering though.

Pat

4. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

Hubby and I sent out a letter like that when we saw some land we were interested in, we went to the court house found the owners name and mailed them a letter (thought it was less invasive that way) That land is now our back pasture :)

5. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

It could be legit, or it could be a scam, or it could be someone looking to flip the house. My first guess would be #3, but it can't hurt to call him and find out. Just don't agree to anything until you have a lawyer involved and tell him up front that you'll have a lawyer to represent your interests. If he runs away, then you'll know it was a scam. Good luck!

6. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like a scam. Otherwise why wouldn't they put the return address on the envelope. It just does't sound right and I'd be very leary about dealing with them based on that letter.

7. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Just like the other poster, I have done this! Didn't realise it sounded so "fishy"! I simply couldn't resist inquiring about the vacant 15 acre parcel right across the country road from us, so I too, went to the tax office, got the name and address of the owners and wrote them a letter.

Given, I EXPLAINED that I was a "close neighbor" and wanted the land because of my horse breeding operation (for more pasture) and that I WAS NOT a developer.

Perhaps the person who left the note simply wasn't good at writing/explaining in a letter.

I think it's quite worth a phone call. DH and I WOULD'VE paid MORE than market price for that land, due to our personal/emotional interests in increasing our pasture for our blessed broodmares, but the gentleman who owned it simply did not want to part with it. He was from Houston and 'vacationed' in his little RV on that land a few times a year....(his own personal/emotional reasons, I guess...)

8. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

We have tried to buy property this way. We asked them what their asking price might be "as is". Don't throw away what might be a legit offer. But don't waste your time if they can't prove they can get a mortgage (and not from you!).

9. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

It can be leg. had a guy drive up from the lower 48. Looking for just a certain type of land. I found me, already knew my name from the tax roles. knew quite a bit about the land from the public records.

He offered to buy some of my land but I can't sell till it is paid off due to the contract I have now. which was nice cause we want to hold on to all of it but he was stating a very nice price for the 2 acres he wanted. So he checked me off his list and went on to a neighbor no deal there.

I did check the guy out. seems ok.

Had a person at church move because someone knock on the door and offer a great deal in cash (really a check but no financing involed) It was a done deal and the people had other land to move to. Everyone was very happy.

10. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

It doesn't cost much to call the guy, so why not see what he is up to? I know of two out of staters that walked up to the door of a house they liked in these parts, and walked away with a handshake agreement. The locals thought they realy fooled a city slicker and the buyer thought he just found the bargain of a lifetime. Everybody won.