Surprise find in the garden

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Danaus29, May 3, 2018.

1. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

After years of neglect I am finally able to work in my gardens again. It's just a little at a time and takes me way longer than I think it should but I am doing it! So, I've spent the past several days digging trees and weeds out of my tiny fenced garden. The past couple nights I closed the little "gate" to keep critters out. Yesterday I was digging again and saw a clump of furry dried grass. Gently and carefully I pulled the grass and fur back a little bit to reveal a nest of baby bunnies! Their eyes are newly opened and they weren't very energetic, probably due to me fencing mama out the night before. I think, "oh crap, I killed them"! I went on to dig weeds from an area not so close to their front door. When I was done for the day I left the gate open so mama could feed them. This morning they were alive and a little squirmy but sleeping with full bellies.

I know from previous experience that mama will not eat close to her nest but the babies will devour everything in a 20 foot radius. There wasn't much there that rabbits eat anyway. I'll just have to leave the gate open until they grow up. I have to get some step in fence posts and put chicken wire around any crops I plant.

A couple days before I found the nest I dumped a bucket full of nasty fermented coffee grounds in one section of that garden. That stench will keep any predators away from the nest. It still smells there.

2. Danaus29

Update, showed the babies to hubby this morning. They look like they are twice the size they were yesterday! So adorable! Not ready to leave home yet.

dsmythe, COSunflower and mzgarden like this.

3. OneDayx2

OneDayx2 Well-Known Member

I found the same thing when raking the leaves off the strawberry bed. But, I didn't see them until the next day. Had already put the fence back up, but it has a hole in it. Don't think the mom has any problems getting in and out to feed them. Last year we had a nest of bunnies in the hay feeder. Hope I have some strawberries left by the time they leave.

4. Danaus29

The babies under the deck are now out exploring. I saw one setting by the grape vine Friday. They are about a week older than the ones in the garden. I haven't checked on them lately. We've had a lot of rain and I can't risk slipping in the mud just yet.

5. Danaus29

Checked them yesterday evening and they took off out of the nest! couldn't get very far because the fence is pretty much baby bunny proof. One did slip out but I put it back with the others. Looked in on them a couple hours later and they were huddled together between 2 flower pots.

They were gone this afternoon. Probably followed mama out of the fence. I have to remember to close the fence tonight. Don't need another nest in there.

6. Danaus29

A feral cat got at least one baby. I make no apologies for that cat not being able to get any more. There are enough foxes, coyotes, monster snakes, hawks and owls to keep the rabbit population in check.

There are still at least 3 in the front yard. One hopped right in front of hubby this morning and I watched another eating weeds at the side of the house.