surgically removing horns

Discussion in 'Goats' started by movedwest2004, Apr 5, 2005.

1. movedwest2004

movedwest2004 New Member

I would just like people who own goats or are thinking of getting them to know what I've just gone through. My two boys that I got had horns and were intact and a few months after I got them got very destructive with their horns including the siding on our home. I wanted another baby from a friend but he warned me that the two I had would have hurt the baby intentionally or otherwise with their horns. I therefore had their horns removed by a vet. They came home with bandages and very little aftercare. One of them has healed nicely with very little problems but unfortunately, the other developed problems including an infection. I am thankful for a neighbor vet who showed me how to flush the openings and now he is finally after a month starting to heal. Please, please if at all possible have this done when they are babies. My little one was done then and he's doing wonderful. My boys are truly a part of our family and I care deeply for them. I slept very little the first few days home from the vet. It may hurt the babies in those few minutes or longer with the banding on the other areas but believe me, it's a lot better than this. Had I known this I really don't think I would have put them through this. By the way, they are both doing really well now and are just like big dogs.

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice...and glad they are doing well now yer a good goat mom lol...I have 2 new bucks that I plan to band in a few weeks[waiting for tetnus booster shots to be done before banding them...I was going to use the hot iron but I cant do it. I know I should do it but cant just yet working my up to it lol......thanks again for the info...Dale Anne

3. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Oooh, movedwest2004-I'm sorry for your bad experience. I havn't had one such as that but this post hits home as I just banded my new 3-month olds this weekend. I have two older does who were disbudded & it is so-they do not get along. I've heard surgically removing horns can be tough on the critters-that's part of the reason why I chose the banding instead, hoping for a better outcome. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm glad to hear your little guys are doing better!

Ellie

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Banding is effective and alot cheaper. The only pain is caused if they knock the horn off to soon.

5. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/disbudding.htm#dehorning

Personally, I think banding and sugical removal is cruel. If you cant disbudd them when they are young leave them. We all are entitled to our own opinions, and that is mine!

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles/disbudding.htm
    "De-horning goats is just plain cruel. De-horning describes the process of cutting off horns that have already grown to significant size. Horns have an extensive blood supply running through them. Below the horns, in the skull, are large sinus cavities. Removing horns down to their base exposes the inside of the goat's head to serious infection. The very best one can hope for in such a procedure is that the goat is going to have a king-sized headache for many hours. When goats are dehorned, death from shock or infection is a definite possibility."

Do a search on the internet for pictures of the process. It is very bloody, cruel, and painful.

6. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

So burning their head with a white hot iron isn't painful or cruel? It is part of raising goats. Either you suffer with their horns, or they suffer as you remove them. I agree that they tend to recover quicker when done at young age. Pain and cruelty is same.

7. windyhollowfarm

I have kept does with horns without any problems. If there are no serious reasons why horns need to be removed, don't do it. You don't put an animal through that type of pain just for minimal reasons.

Disbudding a kid is pain for like 30 seconds. My kids cry when it is being done when it is over they receive a bottle. After the bottle they do not care, and are running around playing.

Just my opinion, do it when they are young as disbudding or dont mess with them.

Of course, I am sure they are some exceptions as to why horns must be removed.

8. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

personally horns or not makes no difference to me ,
    i have banded and dehorned and disbudded,
    when you purchase a goat that has been poorly disbudded, and theyfight with those horns and then the horn breaks off and the goat is bleedingin pain and stress, this is a bad thing,
    banding prevents this problem from occuring if a goat has been dehorned properly , the scurs wont grow, but bucklings are hard to do , and often they grow scurs as big as if they had never been burnt in the first place ...

its a personal choice and not everyone agrees, i know
    but thats why we arent all the same

9. windyhollowfarm

My whole thing is that I am afraid a newbie will try this without weighing out the negatives or without a true understanding of the process (including bad side). I have been reading a lot of discussion on this, and just want people to know that it isnt always just an easy process.

10. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Danielle, i understand that completely,
    and i think having differing opinions helps with newbies too ,because then they can see a balanced story
    its more fair to everyone

bad side of banding, if done too late in the season , or during fly season i have seen fly larvae in the wounds from the horns, but that can happen wiht any wound
    and its not a nice thing

surgical removal is expensive, and for most homesteaders, its not an option, hence the overwhelming popularity of banding

Beth