Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, we have a 6 month old Nubian doe that has a salivary mucocele. The vet has checked it twice and aspirated it once - confirmed, clear saliva. We assume she had her salivary gland damaged playing with her half-sister. We have scheduled her to have the mucocele removed - in & out at the vet, with as light an anesthetic as he can manage for as short a time. Vet says recovery should be quick and simple and he will give us what we need to care for the incision and any pain support (if needed). Of course, we will be watching her every move for the first 48 hours. Our vet is goat-experienced and very responsive, so that's not my concern.

However, I want to hear from my goat experts -- what should I be looking for specifically?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Gosh, I never thought it possible but I believe you have officially stumped everyone here! I'm not one of the experts and wouldn't have a clue! But if it were me, I'd watch for the typical infection signs: fever, oozing at the suture. And if the salivary gland was removed or partially removed, maybe limit very dry foods to prevent irritation or choking? Is the surgical entry site internal or external?

Oh, and I'd definitely isolate her from any other horned goats or any objects she could get it caught on... hmmm, knowing goats, maybe it would be best to keep her in a large plastic bubble!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question about surgical site internal/external - not sure. Will have to ask the vet and report back.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Update: today was surgery day. We left her at 8 and they called at 11 and said everything went well. The incision is on the outside of the cheek - bright pink sutures to be taken out in 2 weeks. He found the salivary duct had a significant blockage which was at a risky stage for infection and was beginning to leak fluid. We had been watching this for 5 weeks, with one aspiration about 3 weeks ago. He removed a portion of the blocked duct and said all looks good. I took Probiotic Plus Paste and Nutri Drench to the vet and asked them to give her some when she was awake enough to swallow. She seems fine - eating alfalfa and noble goat ration without problem, browsing in the pasture. We are watching closely but so far, so good. Her sister is very happy to have her back (and finally quiet). :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts