Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon our oldest sow had nine piglets. It was a bit of a surprise as she had been separated from the boar for quite a while. We initially thought she was pregnant, then we thought she was just fat. Then she either broke her leg or seriously injured it. In seven or eight weeks she has been on "bed rest". She just now is getting onto her feet at all. I was going to take her to slaughter as we decided she wasn't pregnant and with her leg I don't think she will ever be able to breed again. I'm almost certain it's been four months and few days since she was bred so she took her sweet time.

I guess going to the butcher gets delayed six or seven weeks

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Speaking of farrowing and general insemination and this may be robbing this post, I apologize. A friend of ours was given a piglet for free from one of her neighbors (about 5 miles away). At first, she was just going to raise it up and butcher it, but after noticing that it is a gilt and, her words not mine, her "beautiful personality" she wants to instead keep it, breed it, and then sell/butcher the future litter/litters.

She is wanting to go the AI route (Personally I would ask her neighbor if he would be willing to have a boar service if he has one) and curious as to about how old before they go in their first heat cycle, gestation period, and will she be able to simply AI like with goats or is there more of a process with pigs.

Again I apologize and I could put a new thread out there if need be...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Five months or so before first heat. I would wait until six months before breeding though. It does happen that they get pregnant earlier and if it happens it happens.

Keith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts