Supply and Demand

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lacesout, Jul 27, 2006.

1. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

Been reading about folks wanting goats and other posts about folks trying to sell goats - it's such a bummer that the distances are always so great. Few weeks ago I posted that I was trying to give a nice goat away to a good home and had a lot of list members saying I shouldn't do that because it creates the impression that the animal is worthless. After screening about 50+ callers, I found a very nice home for my goat - but I would agree since most of the callers seemed pretty awful IMO. SO, this week I placed an ad in our local paper trying to sell a LaMancha doe and a Pygmy/Alpine cross doe for 75.00 each. Have not received one single call. The ad states that they are CD/T vaccinated, wormed, bottle-raised, etc. Not ONE call. It's really depressing! A few list members said they would never call on a free ad, thinking the goats might by sickly culls, so thought I would charge some $$ and hope for a better quality of response. No luck.

I am sure by the end of this week I will get a few calls from folks wanting the goats for free if I haven't sold them. The irritating thing about those calls is the people try to convince me I should give them the animal because they have absolutely no money - why would anyone take on animal if they couldn't afford feed?? It blows me away that people think I should *want* to give them my animals when they go out of their way to completely convince me that they cannot afford to care for it and could/would never provide vet care if it ever needed it.

Just needed to rant. Thanks. Lynn in Mesa County, CO

2. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

I live in Middle TN. Listed Lamancha dairy goats for sale in local paper--lots of calls but no visits/sales. Spoke to a friend who said she never lists goats in local want ads--lots of calls, lookie-loos but never a sale. She lists with internet free ads ans lists to which she belongs. I did, and got at least ten e-mails over a month or two. I did sell 2, a doe in milk and her doeling to another member on this board. The boys didn't sell but that's OK as we kept them as pets and will breed the 3 females we did keep.

So maybe the lesson is don't pay for ads--sell in the communities where you hang out and spend time.

Vanessa
    Precious Cottage Farm
    College Grove, TN

3. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

I will try that ... but I live in what I consider an isolated area. We are midway between Denver and Salt Lake City - a five hour drive from each. I know there are people on the internet in other areas who might like our goats but how far would they travel for a 75.00 grade goat?

I was mostly just venting ...

4. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

I listed my goats on the web also and got great response. I even had someone come from 2 to 5 hours away to get a goat from me. You would be surprised at how many more people shop on the web vs local paper. I even sold a unregistered pregnant lamanch to someone off the internet for $200.00 and he was from 5 hours away and traveling all over to get pregant and also does in milk. He showed up right on time and never even waivered about the price I was asking.

www.hoobly.com
    www.goatshopper.com

try these 2 they are free!

5. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

Its hard to sell goats here locally so thats why I corss my sanaans with a boer. I just take them to market and sell them as meat goats. But I have had a few people talk to me and know my does are registered. There is a interest in them and offspring If i was to breed them to a registered Sanaan buck. I may try this next time but not sure. Still thinking about it.

BP

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree. The responses I got from ads in local papers was pitiful. I do almost 100% of my selling by word of mouth and the internet now. Much better and cheaper too! :)