Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making speghetti n meatballs for the first time in over 5 years:) I live alone so it's usually not worth using so much meat just for me. What are you making for supper?

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,107 Posts
Focaccia bread from the Farmers Market, pizza sauce, Italian sausage, mozzarella cheese.

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Tonight I made Chimachangas and salsa.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Jay; the wife discovered the packages of Italian meat balls at
aldi's--65 meat balls in a package, so we have spaghetti and meatballs now and then...Tonight though it was a dish of pork, pineapple, bell pepper, carrots, onion and whatevert, good stuff.

·
Super Moderator
16,531 Posts
Sweet and sour pork sounds nice. I might try that for tonight: I am getting tired of what I usually fix and I have all of the makings!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I thawed out one of the chickens i raised this year. I don't know if I will roast it, or cut the wings and legs off and barbecue those (save the rest for another day maybe).
If I grill, it will go with okra, peppers and yellow squash from the garden, love grilled okra. If roasting, will pair it with potatoes and zucchini from the garden. Very successful year in the garden this summer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Geez, you people are motivated! AND making me hungry. I had Waleye at the Friday night fish fry at the diner. Tonight I’ll probably throw some butcher made brats on the grill.

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Tonight with the rain belt from the hurricane coming through and her and her dog here since my house is better protected from the wind gusts than her house and we can walk the dogs in the rain under the shade canopy out back, I am making ham and beans, collards , hush puppy seasoned cornbread and sweet tea for our dinner as we watch the 70th anniversary Burns and Allen marathon on AntennaTV this evening.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Spent the day working on fencing projects while keeping watch over two Sows in the farrowing pens while they gave birth.
My wife and I spent dusk and an hour into dark walking the timber looking for a missing Leghorn and a missing Boar.
The Boar was (my guess) confused by his pen getting redone and his missing gal pal and decided to wander into a brush pile in the woods and set up camp for the night. I let him be.
The neighbors brought over fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and cole slaw so we didn't have to cook. What a surprise and good deed!

The missing chicken made his appearance this morning during the throwing of the feed.
"Tater" arrived at sunrise like the runaway kid with the stick and handkerchief hanging off his shoulder who got to the end of the block and realized what he was leaving.

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Tonight she is making chicken fried pounded steak , mashed potatoes , gravy and sweet peas after our day going 3 counties away for her to spend the day visiting one of her relatives while I went with the woman's husband to look for some engine and body parts my mechanic and I were looking for to rejuvenate two 1990s vehicles we picked up a few months ago before we had lunch with them and spent part of the afternoon with them before the 90 minute drive home..

Now we are ready for a nice meal and relaxation watching the 3 Stooges , Svenghoulie , Star Trek and Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century.

·
newfieannie
9,247 Posts
I've never heard of chicken fried pounded steak but it sounds good. i had a little of the cabbage roll casserole that was leftover from what i cooked for the weekend for my son .

i don't eat it because i don't eat hamburger meat but it was really good. i will likely start making some for myself or make extra when i make his now that i know i like it.

i have some chicken legs in the oven baking now for tomorrow and a batch of orange rolls rising. ~Georgia

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
I just dropped two slabs of ribs into our slow roaster. Sometime around 6ish or so we will be having them with baked potatoes, seasoned steamed rice with peas and carrots and home made buttermilk biscuits. I'll have either a deep tall glass of iced tea or a short glass of whiskey to go with it, depending on how long our company stays.

·
Super Moderator
16,531 Posts
We will have leftovers tonight. We have 2 leftover trout from last night (we went fishing the other day. It was wonderful). We also have leftover garden vegetables and leftover biscuits. I did one last big harvest of bell peppers and green beans and such, but after those are used up I will be eating store-bought vegetables and they are not quite as good as fresh picked'

I will also be using what remains of last years dried fruit by making a dried-fruit pie. A fresh fruit pie is a bit better but dried fruit pies are ALSO good, and I do not want to risk letting last years dried fruit pick up any off flavors. And so I will use it up by making pies: today will be the third dried fruit pie that I have made and it will use up what is left of last years dried fruit

I will miss eating like this come winter. The garden was productive enough for fresh eating but the only vegetables I had enough of a harvest to store for the winter were root vegetables. Since I like a lot of variety in my diet and only eating root vegetables will get dull I will be buying a lot of fresh vegetables this winter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts