Supercedure cells?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Mountaineer, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

I have 10 hives. 7 are brand new nucs. Two of the newly hived nucs have supercedure cells (small queen cell on frame side)
    They have plenty of space still, but I put a second box on anyway- for air/space.
    One of my second year hives just swarmed. As I was collecting the swarm I grabbed a frame of brood from a 2nd year hive to coax them- first frame had a supercedure cell! They also have lots of space! By lots I mean 3-4 empty frames per box.
    When you come across a queen cell like this- what should you do?

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Have you seen your queen?
    Something like this you need to keep an eye on, sometimes they will build them. It's being there is not a great concern, but if they put something in there then it's a different matter entirely.

3. Mountaineer

Yes- I was concerned so I actually squished it. Probably not the best move- if they are going to leave and I miss them- I'm queenless. Been there done that already! Just felt like I needed to slow them down. In my opinion they have no reason to swarm. Will be through them thoroughly this weekend!

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

if they have empty frames can you alternate them with the worked frames so they figure out they have more room incase they didnt already get the memo?

5. Mountaineer

That's something I do regularly, and pulling them up into the second box to help take them even further.
    Thanks for the help.