super thin

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by livestockmom, Aug 2, 2005.

1. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

If its tight like a drum, I would say it sounds like bloat to me.
    Did she feed him grain or increase his feed? This would make him bloat.
    I would offer him some baking soda and rub his tummy (rumen) and see if she could get him to burp. Is he current on his Covexin 8 or CDT for overeating disease?

2. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

It doesn't sound like bloat to me it sound like severe malnutrition. The belly will become gaunt in the later stages. You need to get a vet out to do some blood tests on this guy. Do you live in any mineral deficient area's? That could be the cause. Do your lambs have access to free choice trace salt? Also I wouldn't keep worming that could create immune worms which is a real problem as there is only one type of aprroved worming chemical. Check for lice and other parasites that the wormer doesn't treat, if it doesn't suck blood it won't be killed. Are your other lambs slow growers? I wonder if he is the only small one he simply may have the inability, or unwillingness to thrive, probably the most frustrating thing you have to deal with in sheep. I would get the vet out if you've tried everything you can and he still isn't gaining. Also keep him hydrated and quiet until you can get the vet out avoid working him and making him burn off extra calories.

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Bloat popped into my mind after reading Michelle's post. I've not seen him since he left, so haven't had my hands on him to tell what he's really feeling like.

The other lambs are fast growers, about a lb per day up to weaning. I don't think we'll be over-doing it with deworming, he's been done about a month ago at weaning, but not before that.

The new owners did change feed, and the wife said she believes it's been just a handful of grain, but they've also been feeding alfalfa. She said there are no runnies, so that's good. He was poopin' fine when he left here, but as I said, was a bit thin. I'd hoped moving to a new pasture with less competition would have helped him out.

I'll see him tomorrow, so will get a better idea of what's going on. Thanks for the input!

4. livestockmom

Yep, my guess is bloat from a change in feed....or a little too much too fast.
    Keeing a small bowl of baking soda out free-choice if he tummy acts up might be a good idea for awhile.
    I agree, I would worm him again too. Have you tried Ivermectin injectable or drench? If he is still under the weather, I would ask her to take his temp.
    Does he chew his cud? Does she have some Vit. B complex?
    Hope your little guy is feeling well today. (yes, glad he didnt get the runs )

5. livestockmom

Kesoaps, how did your little one look today during your visit? I hope he was much improved?

6. livestockmom

Yes, a complete feed would be terriffic for this guy...if she is new to sheep, make sure she knows to buy sheep feed only, not a goat 16% or 18%....
    Sorry, I know you know that...I just had visions of her walking into a feed store and asking for a 18% ration and getting goat feed....I hear about that too often.

7. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Checking in here! We've had the girls here camping, so I didn't get over to check the lamb. I'd asked them to bring him here for me to see, but that didn't happen. They did say he seemed a bit 'perkier' mid week, which has me wondering because they told me he seemed to be acting fine (they had added baking soda, though!) Now they're planning on being gone over the weekend. I think I'll just go over this afternoon and see what's up.

8. livestockmom

Maybe take a thermometer with you in case he seems down you can take a temp and see if anything is going on. I hope the little guy is well.
    I'm glad they added the baking soda!