Super rare redwood tree?

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by Wolf Flower, May 13, 2006.

1. Wolf Flower

Wolf Flower Married, not dead! Supporter

While I was out at the property today, a tree guy came by to drop off a business card and told me how much he likes this tree:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had been wondering what type of tree it was; it's very tall, and has little tiny cones, but it had no leaves during the winter. He tells me it is a very rare type of redwood tree that they thought was extinct, and it's supposed to be the only conifer that is deciduous. I can't remember the name of it though... anyone?

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I have two....they are not so Rare any more. They are a Redwood Tree from China...
    Called "Dawn" Redwood. They are a pretty tree,,but as you know, they get big!

Metasequoia glyptostroboides - Dawn Redwood

Family - Taxodiaceae

Size - Deciduous conifer, 80 to 100 feet in height with a 25 to 30 foot base spread. Pyramidal in habit. Fast rate of growth, about 3 feet per year can be expected on established trees.

Foliage - Similiar in appearance to Bald Cypress. Bald Cypress foliage is spirally arranged on the stem whereas Dawn Redwood are opposite in arrangement and slightly shorter in length. Fall color is a reddish-brown.

Flower/Fruit/Seed - Cone

Bark - Reddish-brown, especially when young. Darker, grayish and fissured when older and exfoliating in long papery narrow strips. Becomes heavily buttressed as the tree matures.

Pests and Diseases - Have noticed some dieback on limbs of trees, possibly due to a canker. There will be sections in which entire limbs or the top will die. The tree recovers only to repeat it again the following year. Other trees are never bothered.

Landscape Use - This tree will get big, period. It is only recommended for large open areas. There is one Dawn Redwood in town which is more than 80 feet tall and it literally swallows the small back yard of a one story home. Could make a great obstacle blocking the 18th green. Potential street tree use where it's growth may be tempered. Is supposedly used for such in Maplewood, New Jersey. Performs best in well drained, slightly acid soils.

Performance - 8 Has been around for 50 million years so it has some durability and knows how to survive. Was originally thought to be extinct and was found growing in Eastern Szechuan and Western Hupeh, China in 1941. The Arnold Arboretum sponsored a expedition to the area in 1944, collected seed, and these were shared with other arboreta and botanical gardens throughout the world.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_Redwood

3. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

I need some of those seeds LOL my son says its a dinosaur tree. He found it in a magazine and reminds me often that we should grow one.

4. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

The Dawn Redwood is one of MANY deciduous conifers-- Bald Cypress, red cypress, the larches, etc--all deciduous.. I love the arboretum where I hang out and volunteer-- I get to see so many plants that I would not get to see in their native areas!!!

And yes, the DAwen redwood is not considered "rare" anymore--It was propogated quite readily, and became a specimen tree in many landscapes....