Super-8 AG Education Films

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jdnich, Nov 18, 2004.

1. jdnich

jdnich Member

Hello Out There!
    We have come across a box of AG education films that are in the'Super 8mm Sound Film Cartridge' format-evidently a technology whose time has come...and gone!
    We have no way of checking or viewing these films,but they do seem to be in relatively good condition .Some were sold by an 'A.O. Smith Harvestore'.We were able to learn that this sound cartridge format began in 1975 and was 'dicontinued recently'.We were able to find what the projector looks like but little else.
    We wonder if there is any value to the cartridges as we were considering selling them,any help would be appreciated.Some of the titles (there are 10 in all) are Why Bale Hay,At the Touch of A Button,Grow Your Own-Beef Version,Beef Feeding Systems,Total Ration For Dairy,etc.
    Thanks!!!

2. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

There probably isn't too much value to them, unfortunately, because many don't want to deal with film. I got some real nice films, some Charlie Chaplin and the like, and paid less than a few dollars a film. Unless they are rare, most won't bother. Most, from what I've seen, simply put them on DVD or VHS and get rid of the original film. Oh well, at least you have some interesting films...if you can get a good projector! I have had terrible luck with old projectors. :waa: Good luck selling the films. :)

3. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

If you are interested in keeping them, go to a good local photo shop ( like a good camera store). They can probably convert them to dvd for your own enjoyment. As far as resale, try ebay, you can sell anything there!

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I agree, get them on dvd, and when you do, sell a copy of that dvd to me for 5.00!

5. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

My husband's part of our business is doing exactly that- creating DVDs out of film. Its not cheap, but a DVD will definitely last longer! The only problem is, if the film is copyrighted, no one (with any ethics anyway) will touch it.
    Here is our website if you're interested.

www.imagetecjewelry.com

Click on the "Media Services" link.
    And please email if you have any questions.

6. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Depending on how old they are, they may not be copyrighted anymore. You should be able to search copyright records. It's different for books, movies, living authors, dead authors, etc., so be sure to check.

7. jdnich

jdnich Member

We've been busy lately and haven't had a chance to return to the forum but wanted to make sure and let all of you know that we really appreciate your help.Thanks!!!

8. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

As many courts have ruled, copyright law allows for archival backups, or the transferrence of copyrighted material from one form of media to another.

You must retain ownership of the originals however, and cannot legally sell or give away copies. If you do decide to sell the originals, any backups or copies must be given to the buyer of the original, or destroyed.

So there is no valid reason for a media transferrence service to refuse to convert formats of those films. Most should already be aware of the legality issues or they shouldn't be in the business.

Bob

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

agreed, and depending on what company made these ag films and the age of them there is a big chance that the copyright has expired or that has become a General Use item. Either way, it would be worth looking into.

10. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

If you are close to an ag museum, they may want them for display.