Sunshine Finally!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by katlupe, Dec 16, 2004.

1. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I don't know if anyone else uses solar power for their energy but it's pretty tough here in NY to generate enough power with no sun. This week we bought a new generator that is designed for use with a off the grid system because we were dying here. As soon as we hooked it up - yes! the sun appeared!! I think it was on vacation or something. But the good thing here is, that even with the sun shining, it doesn't give us enough sun at this time of the year, so I am so glad we bought this generator. Well, next year - more panels.

I don't know if anyone is really interested - but I am excited about it and nobody I know really cares about anything except what they saw on tv last night. My new friend told me about your forum and it's great! As my husband says "you are your environment" - so true!

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Katlupe, I'm glad the sun came out, too. The poor chickens barely stuck their heads out of the coop yesterday, but today they are very happy and active. The sheep and goats were laying on the snow, basking in the sunshine and chewing their cud. Ain't life grand! Good to see you here!

3. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Hurray for sunshine! Hi katlupe, we are very solar-reliant too and have been for 13 years. Do you have PV refrigeration? Ours is gas. We still use a g for pumping water (gravity feed). Low power days can be rough. We have a wind g also, but "moving parts" (argh), so it's shut down for now. I do upstairs cleaning inside on cloudy days because it's brighter with the skylights. I have found that it's also healthier to get outside more on cloudy days. Have a sunshiny day, well, maybe not today.

4. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

katlupe,
    I am connected to the grid and don't think, for me, it would be
    worthwhile to do otherwise as I only use about $40 a month in
    electricity. However, I wondered. When I have gone to alternate
    energy gatherings, I was under the impression that our area
    (NY, PA) is probably a better place to have a hybrid system
    where solar is used in the "brighter" months, and wind power is
    used in the winter. Do you have any wind power equipment?

I try to use less electricity and think I've been fairly successful,
    because I think the payback time for alternate energy isn't
    feasible for me. Also, PA doesn't have energy credits like NY.

Hope you are keeping warm and have lights!
    Ann

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Hey, I think you got our sunshine...it's grey and dreary here today. Looks like it might snow (just joking, it is only in the 50s now, but it might ) get down to the 20s by Monday). The cat got really friendly with the electric blanket last night.

6. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

I still had a little snow on the bottom edge of my PV panel this morning, but it didn't last long. Thank goodness we had a pretty good solar day today. My battery bank hadn't been getting a whole lot of solar hours lately.

Bob

7. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Hey Hilltop Daisy! Hope to see you soon. How's the new goat, Emily doing?

We do plan on getting wind equipment in the future but are building our system slowly. Our house is off the grid and to bring power in here would cost alot. But I wouldn't hook up no matter what. Actually the only thing we really use our system for is our computer equipment and for watching our collection of western movies (in the winter only). We have a gas fridge and I wouldn't ever have an electric one again. We use kerosene lamps for lights. So we can get by without alot of equipment. We plan on adding to the system as our money allows but for now this is fine. As our home is off the grid we aren't eligible for any of the NY grants. You have to hook up the grid and we will never do that.

8. feycat

feycat Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say... Welcome Katlupe!

9. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

"Our house is off the grid and to bring power in here would cost alot. But I wouldn't hook up no matter what."

DITTO

10. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

katlupe , hello from Montana. we are solar and wind also and dont have enough sun durning the winter even when the sun shines all day! we also have a gas generator for back up charging of the batteries, it is running right now. also need to run gas genny for wash machine and dryer to run at same time. keeps life interesting!

11. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

The best way to get the sun to come out is to buy a generator. :rolleyes: Lots of folks have solar and wind combo systems. Seems to be more wind when the sun is hiding.