Sunflowers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rocket, Aug 15, 2006.

1. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I grew Sunflowers (Skyscraper variety) for the first time this year and they seem to be doing great. I'm getting a bunch of big seed heads. I plan to use some as bird seed, but I plan on eating plenty myself, too. So do any of you here have any good tips or suggestions for hulling the seeds? I'm really hoping that I won't have to end up cracking and removing each hull individually!

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a grst mill or flour mill, try running them through with the stone set so that the seeds don't quite fall through. Run some through, adjust tighter or looser, and it should knock most of the hulls loose.

3. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

LOL, as I type this my dd's are outside picking seeds off the giant sunflowers I grew. Makes harvesting easy for me on this one LOL.

I want to save some to replant next year, how should I store them, in the fridge/freezer or just in the cabinate??

4. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

A grist mill sounds like a great idea, WisJim. Too bad I don't have one. Any other ideas?

And I would guess that seed for next year would save just fine in the cabinet, as long as the seed is well dried.